First IDPA classifer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > First IDPA classifer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 6

Default First IDPA classifer

So april 7 is my first crack at IDPA and I'm looking for advice and praying that I can find the ammo I need before the match, my options for guns are Glock 22 or FNP 45 usg, I have more rounds down the fnp 45 about 1500 compared to 500 on the glock but, with I dont have to use the manual safety like I would on the fnp 45, if I use the glock I will be to replace the sights on it but I dont want to do that right before the match cause I wont have time to shoot it and find the point of aim/point of impact, what would you shooters do in my case?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetshotpro View Post
So april 7 is my first crack at IDPA and I'm looking for advice and praying that I can find the ammo I need before the match, my options for guns are Glock 22 or FNP 45 usg, I have more rounds down the fnp 45 about 1500 compared to 500 on the glock but, with I dont have to use the manual safety like I would on the fnp 45, if I use the glock I will be to replace the sights on it but I dont want to do that right before the match cause I wont have time to shoot it and find the point of aim/point of impact, what would you shooters do in my case?
I think that IDPA requires an individual to shoot a few matches prior to shooting a classifier.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Concentrate of having fun and not missing.

Use your equipment as it is for the first one. There will be enough pressure without worrying about equipment.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

targetshotpro Likes This 
Old 04-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Going to throw out my opinion on this one. I would go with the FNP. First off, the safety should not slow you down this early in the game. Later on you may wish to to switch but for now I would shoot what is the most familiar.
Second, I would go with the 45 hands down over the 40 caliber. It is in my opinion that the 40 has much more "snap" to it and you will get a better second and third shot with a 9mm or 45 over the 40.
My 10 cents worth

Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

So after thinking about and and reading the advice you guys give me I'm going to use the FNP 45
not with that holster, will make a different one for it

img_0178.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Are there any updates?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #7

Ok so shot the classifier yesterday! was nervous as hell, I'm not going to run down the whole day just the highlights. and I will show my times in a picture
so stage 1 run it nice and slow got some hits could have been better but my nerves were got to me.
Stage 2 is a moving while shooting string of fire, I just prayed I didn't trip and fall as I shot.
moving forward got good hits on the center and right targets but not the left, then walking backwards shot wide on the left and left target. on one of the strings of fire in stage 2 I had a double feed but cleared it fast. at the end of stage 2 I was feeling calmer back I hadn't shot myself and was shooting better than most of the other guys in my squad(15 people).I also screwed up and forgot to put my mags back into the carrier so during a reload I couldn't find the full mag in my pockets which killed my time(lesson learned)
Stage 3 is shooting at 20 yards behind a wall and running to shot behind a barrel and tac-reload, from what I read before this is a stage where you must slow down and make the hits, I once again became a nervous wreck but shot my best at a slow pace, shooting around the wall from the left side to the right target was hard,I really had to stretch and try not to shoot the barricade (which one guy did), I got really good hits on all targets for the distance, I do believe that I got better hits than 10 of the other guys in my squad (but most were rookies like me and none of them were even experts or masters)
stage 3 felt the best out of all of them just because I was more relaxed by that time.

my Fnp 45 ran good with the exception to the double feed and the slide did not lock back once (bad mag)

Will get official time and classification on wednesday (april 10) but I did add up my own score and it is a 174-175 and with the points down it is a 192 or so,
The picture I took or the score card didn't get the full card so missing some of the points down
overall had some fun and all the guys I got to talk too were great people, can't wait to shot my first real match

dsc00735.jpg  

Old 04-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #8

Oh I was shooting CDP with my FNP-45 usg, fiber optic front sight, Ammo was PMC 230 gr 45, I didn't use the red kydex holster used a Carbon fiber kydex one with belt loops because I didn't want to use the paddle holster. it is funny because only one person in my squad used a glock, I thought everyone would have glock 34's or 17's, but it was mostly 1911's, XDM's, two Sigs , 2 M&P 9 Pro, a nickel plated CZ 75(lol pimp), and a Taurus 24/7 oss in my squad

Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay!
Did you have fun?
As you do more and get more practice, you will start to control the nerves and enjoy it.

(It sez something about the 1911 and how useful it is.)

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #10

Had fun at the classifier on Sunday,and got my official times and ranking

Marksman CDP
total score 194.72
totals points down 42
stage one score 59.95 (14 points down)
stage two score 57.56 (7 points down)
stage three score 77.21 (21 points down)

I was had better hits that I thought when compared to the other 59 shooters, they were just way faster than me