Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Factory loads w/ 165 power factor in .40S&W? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/factory-loads-w-165-power-factor-40s-w-94311/)

CHLChris 07-23-2013 03:59 PM

Factory loads w/ 165 power factor in .40S&W?
 
I'm about to shoot my first match ever (USPSA Limited-10). I decided to buy a Glock 35 even though I'm not a fan of the 40S&W. I'm a wuss and the recoil hurts my little boy hands. ;)

However, that's the choice I made. I'd be happy to explain, but there's no need for this thread.

I'd like some ideas about what factory loads will meet the lowest power factor floor of 165 in a 5" barrel and/or have the lightest recoil.

Right now I'm thinking WWB 165gr. Any other ideas?

CHLChris 07-24-2013 05:24 AM

BTW, I just bought a box of WWB 165gr at Wally World.

It has printed velocity of 1060fps, so almost 175 power factor. Out of a 5" barrel, it may clock even faster.

I'd really like something slower and I don't have the money to cook up my own loads, since I don't have a reloading station set up (YET).

JW357 07-24-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris
BTW, I just bought a box of WWB 165gr at Wally World.

It has printed velocity of 1060fps, so almost 175 power factor. Out of a 5" barrel, it may clock even faster.

I'd really like something slower and I don't have the money to cook up my own loads, since I don't have a reloading station set up (YET).

My best advice for now is to maybe find a reputable reloader and ask him to make you some slow loads (pay for them of course).

As a general rule, I don't like to use other people's reloads. But there are good websites out there who make all their business off of reloads. Just see if you can find the as well as reviews on them.

bildee 07-24-2013 05:50 AM

according to your legend, you have a .45 ACP, so why not just compete with that?

CHLChris 07-24-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bildee (Post 1313486)
according to your legend, you have a .45 ACP, so why not just compete with that?

1) I have a Glock 21 as my bedside gun, but I don't have a 1911 right now.
2) I don't carry a 1911 anyway, so I don't want to spend the training energy on a platform I don't carry.
3) I carry a G23 so the training work with a G34/35 would be helpful.
4) I chose G35 for SHTF reasons since I can use it for both 40 and 9.

That's why...

bildee 07-25-2013 03:21 AM

and why not just compete with the g21? Guys do, you know. Believe me, simply a bit of work with a hotstuff 1911 does not make you an A class shottist. :-) top 10% of entrants, that is.

JW357 07-25-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bildee
and why not just compete with the g21? Guys do, you know. Believe me, simply a bit of work with a hotstuff 1911 does not make you an A class shottist. :-) top 10% of entrants, that is.

Who ever said anything about a 1911?

Vikingdad 07-25-2013 03:35 AM

How about getting the 9mm conversion and using that caliber?

CHLChris 07-25-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1314491)
How about getting the 9mm conversion and using that caliber?

1) Conversion barrel isn't considered okay in USPSA, even in Limited.

2) Even if a conversion barrel were allowed in Limited, I would be losing the benefits of major power factor by shooting 9mm.

CHLChris 07-25-2013 04:33 AM

Actually, I just spent some quality time at the range with my Glock 35. 40S&W is easy peasy out of that platform.

I'm still wondering if anybody has any ideas about factory loads at 165 power factor.??????


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.