Dry Fire Practice-- Helpful Online Tools

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Dry Fire Practice-- Helpful Online Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Dry Fire Practice-- Helpful Online Tools

Here's a link to Matt Burkett's dry fire tools page I've been using to help my dry-fire practice sessions-----> Dry Fire Drills

There are a couple of really good animated programs there to assist with dry fire practice. As always, practice safety first. Clear your firearm and mags, remove ALL ammunition from the room, re-clear your firearm again.
Okay..... anyway

The first is "Dot Transitions Drill" Dots appear briefly then re-appear at random points on the screen. Helps with increasing eye speed and getting faster sight acquisition and sight alignment.

The second one "Draw at the Beep" is probably my favorite tool. You can change the target size and style(IPSC and IDPA silhouette's and IPSC "turtles" ) and add and move around a no-shoot target if you wish from the options. You can set the par time to whatever time you would like, then it will run in a loop with a variable 1-4 second start beep(to help keep you from cheating the start) followed by a finish beep at wherever you set the par time. I don't have a shot timer yet, so I find this tool very handy for not just draw drills, but reload drills, and things like draw-shoot-reload-shoot, turn-draw-shoot, etc,etc.
I use the par time to keep track of my progress and to push myself to get smoother and faster.

The third drill is "Variable Speed Swinger" will help with practice for those pesky uspsa swinging targets, and is also a good tool for acquiring a good flash sight picture, target tracking and trigger control. Really gives the eyes a workout. You can adjust the swinger speed and drag the baricade around to block part of the swing if you wish.

The last one "Target Tracking Drill" is pretty simple, just gives a target to track from side to side.

I find them pretty useful so I thought I'd post it up in case anyone one else was interested.

Didn't know if I should put this here or in Training section, but since I use it for competition practice, I put it here
Mods feel free to move if appropriate

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2788 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

You got a "Thumbs Up!" on this from me.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5509 Times on 2876 Posts
Likes Given: 357

thats a sweet set of tools !! even if you dont have access to such matches like i dont

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I find that very useful, good find!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I know what I'm doing this evening!

Thanks!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Nice find Gate. TU

HOOAH!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”