Different Types of Matches - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Different Types of Matches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the info guys. USPSA kinda sounds like what I was wanting to do. I'll probably end up doing IDPA as well just for the extra training/practice. I don't have the time to do it tonight as I need to do some studying for some tests(what I should be doing instead of being on here), but tomorrow or Friday I'm gonna see what all my area has. Being as I'm just outside of Orlando, and not far from Tampa, I'm sure there will be a lot around here.

I don't yet have a holster, but as soon as I get one I'll definitely be practicing. I've been trying to just put the gun in my pocket to practice drawing, and while better than nothing, is probably nothing like drawing from a holster. I do have a question about holsters though. I've pretty much decided on getting a Blade Tech, but can't decide between a regular one, or a DOH. What do you guys prefer? I don't think any stores around here sell them so I don't have anywhere where I can try them out. I'll check around though next time Im in some of the local gun shops.

Also, one of thing. I have somewhat of a flinching problem. While at the range where I can take my time, I just slowly put more and more pressure on the trigger until the gun fires, essentially surprising myself. Of course I won't be able to do this in competition as it will be much too slow. Other than just dry-firing and shooting, is there anything else I can do to work on the flinch, or is it something thats just going to take some time to get rid of?

Thanks again for all the help.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I do have a question about holsters though. I've pretty much decided on getting a Blade Tech, but can't decide between a regular one, or a DOH. What do you guys prefer? I don't think any stores around here sell them so I don't have anywhere where I can try them out.
-Fred
Bladetech is by far the mist popular kydex competition out there. I have about 6 of them myself for my G17,G24, 2-G34's, G35, S&W 625 Revo. I had a dog chew up a holster and myself try to heat up and reform one if their jolsters and they exchanged both if them at no cost! That kinda of customer service and the factvthat their qualtiy is outstanding gets my vote. I hipe simeday im good enough to ask them to sponsor me.

I also use their AR mag pouches and Bobby McGee competition single pistol mag pouches for 3 gun. I really like the CR Speed mag pouches for pistol only competitions though. You do a lot of reloads in a pistol match and not as much running as in a 3 gun match. So the BladeTech pistol pouches are taller and hold onto the mags a little better so they never fall out when I run but they don't come out as easy/fast when I'm doing 5 mag changes in a 32 round stage shooting production division. The CR Speed mag pouches are fully adjustable and can be used with various mag types. They are shorter which allows you to get mire if your hand and fingers in the mags and have a big thumb screw for adjusting the tension in the mags.

The best way to figure out what you think us going to work for you us to attend a big match and ask everybody what they use and why. Most if us guys that like to compete with guns are A type personality and have an opinion and/or reasons why we use what we use. Plus mist of us ate proud to show off our hear which is why the people if this sport are so fun to hang out with.

The best place to order from is not CR Speed or BladeTech directly. cR speed is in south Africa so it takes 2-4 weeks to get you stuff and BladeTech usually builds to order so it takes 1-2 weeks.

Check out Chris' Winning Shooting Accessories LLC, velocityshooter, shooters connection, brownells, or midwayUSA. They all have great customer service and give 10's of thousands of dollars per year back to the competitive shooting sports in prizes and donations.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh yeah I forgot in my rambling to say that I like the DOH with teklok the best. I also use the double belt deal from CRSpeed. It's an awesome concept and makes gearing up/down so easy and convenient. You will want to buy a roll of that 2" wide Velcro from Lowrs and put the hook side on the back side of you msg pouches and holster so that they stick to your inner belt too.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info JT. I definitely wanna try to get out to a match and see everyone's setups. I think the DOH with tek-lock is what I'll end up getting, and I'll give those mag holders and double belt a look. I know I need a better belt real bad.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"