Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Different Types of Matches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Different Types of Matches

I was browsing through the websites of the Competition Organizations that I know of (IDPA, USPSA and IPSC), with the intent to find out which appealed the most to me. My first question is are there any other organizations? I just wanna scope out all the options. Second, while reading through, none of them really jumped out as being more appealing to me than the others. They all seem to have parts that I like. I like the practicality of IDPA, the kind of running around shooting around obstacles aspect of USPSA, yet plate-shooting of IPSC seems kind of intriguing as well.

My last question is this, for those of you who have participated in one, two or all three of these organizations' matches, what do you like, what are some things you don't like? If you participated in more than one competition, did you like one more than the other(s)? If so why? I want to try to get out and watch some matches of all three, but also want to hear from first-hand shooters experience on the three.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks in advance for any and all advice.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Last edited by FCross7; 09-21-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Fred, along with the organized & regulated shooting sports, there are also other types of competitions. My absolute favorite is head to head bowling oin matches. These are tons of fun and really help you improve with accurate speed shooting. My second favorite would be steel plate matches and I'm looking for some down in my neck of the woods. Check with your local ranges for these types of events as they are not generally "sanctioned" by any of the national organizations...

Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Fred,

Most of these organizations will let you participate in at least one match without joining. So you can try different matches and see what you like. Some ranges also host competitions that aren't part of a larger organization. I've seen "ads" on forums for ranges that run Halloween events, zombie shoots, and WWII matches.

Tell us more about what you are looking for; I'm sure someone on here can help.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
VR4

I shoot IDPA & USPSA. What I like about IDPA is the scenerios and the use of concealment.

What I like about USPSA is you can engage the targets as you see them and running and gunning. Plus there is a lot more steel to shoot at in USPSA.

MY IDPA/USPSA VIDEO'S

http://www.youtube.com/user/VR4154#p/u

Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

USPSA is the national organization under the international umbrella of IPSC. Most rules are the same. There are some differences. In the US, most of the time the USPSA rules will be used. Most if not all the US clubs will let you shoot as many times as you want w/o joining USPSA.

If you go to watch, you will be upset with yourself for not just shooting. Every club I have shot with are very receptive to new shooters. There is a separate safety briefing for new members and you should be assigned a mentor. The clubs around here will have the new shooters shoot last in their squad so they can see a few different ideas on how to negotiate a course.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #6

I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge and have shot IDPA as well everyone has told you pretty much whats its about now practice your draw at home and moving keep your finger out of trigger while moving you will be DQed disqualified also do not break a 180 degree line, you will be hooked. My avatar is my Steel plate gun 9mm single stack with all the custom stuff Springfield Armory my USPSA gun is similar but double stack 9mm it is STI

Last edited by frank_1947; 09-21-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

You missed at least one organiation -
ICORE

While revolver based, We have a monthly match and there are classes for those of us that don't shoot the old time guns with round magazines...

A Man Willing To Give Up His Freedom For Security Deserves Neither. (B Franklin)

Old 09-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is your area's USPSA section page. Southeast Shooter - The Official USPSA Area 6 Web Site

I prefer USPSA but shoot them all. I am athletic and like to shoot a lot so the high round count (32 max) per stage and the run and gun style of USPSA/IPSC are for me.

IDPA is good too but it is basically a slower more deliberate version of USPSA with less movement, less racier guns, less prizes at big matches, more tactical.

Steel Challenge is great ot do but I use it for practice for 3 gun and USPSA. There is not much movement at all. It does train you how to transition targets faster and work the trigger smoother.

My Videos

Accurate Iron Custom STI Edge 5 | Accurate Iron Benelli M2 Shotgun | Stag Arms Model 3G | Accurate Iron Glock 34 | Accurate Iron Glock 35 | DPMS Panther LR 308

Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #9

steel is great practice for the draw at our club we have a new person shoot steel before he or she shoots USPSA just to see if they can handle gun safely and to get use to drawing drop your gun you are DQed

Old 09-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_1947 View Post
steel is great practice for the draw at our club we have a new person shoot steel before he or she shoots USPSA just to see if they can handle gun safely and to get use to drawing drop your gun you are DQed
Great Idea! Steel Chalenge is probably the best first match for anyone especially junior shooters that may not be physically strong enough to do a lot of gun manipulation.

My Videos

Accurate Iron Custom STI Edge 5 | Accurate Iron Benelli M2 Shotgun | Stag Arms Model 3G | Accurate Iron Glock 34 | Accurate Iron Glock 35 | DPMS Panther LR 308