Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Different Types of Matches (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/different-types-matches-32015/)

FCross7 09-21-2010 02:03 AM

Different Types of Matches

I was browsing through the websites of the Competition Organizations that I know of (IDPA, USPSA and IPSC), with the intent to find out which appealed the most to me. My first question is are there any other organizations? I just wanna scope out all the options. Second, while reading through, none of them really jumped out as being more appealing to me than the others. They all seem to have parts that I like. I like the practicality of IDPA, the kind of running around shooting around obstacles aspect of USPSA, yet plate-shooting of IPSC seems kind of intriguing as well.

My last question is this, for those of you who have participated in one, two or all three of these organizations' matches, what do you like, what are some things you don't like? If you participated in more than one competition, did you like one more than the other(s)? If so why? I want to try to get out and watch some matches of all three, but also want to hear from first-hand shooters experience on the three.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks in advance for any and all advice.

-Fred

NGIB 09-21-2010 08:39 AM

Fred, along with the organized & regulated shooting sports, there are also other types of competitions. My absolute favorite is head to head bowling oin matches. These are tons of fun and really help you improve with accurate speed shooting. My second favorite would be steel plate matches and I'm looking for some down in my neck of the woods. Check with your local ranges for these types of events as they are not generally "sanctioned" by any of the national organizations...

utf59 09-21-2010 01:42 PM

Fred,

Most of these organizations will let you participate in at least one match without joining. So you can try different matches and see what you like. Some ranges also host competitions that aren't part of a larger organization. I've seen "ads" on forums for ranges that run Halloween events, zombie shoots, and WWII matches.

Tell us more about what you are looking for; I'm sure someone on here can help.

VR4 09-21-2010 05:11 PM

I shoot IDPA & USPSA. What I like about IDPA is the scenerios and the use of concealment.

What I like about USPSA is you can engage the targets as you see them and running and gunning. Plus there is a lot more steel to shoot at in USPSA.

robocop10mm 09-21-2010 05:21 PM

USPSA is the national organization under the international umbrella of IPSC. Most rules are the same. There are some differences. In the US, most of the time the USPSA rules will be used. Most if not all the US clubs will let you shoot as many times as you want w/o joining USPSA.

If you go to watch, you will be upset with yourself for not just shooting. Every club I have shot with are very receptive to new shooters. There is a separate safety briefing for new members and you should be assigned a mentor. The clubs around here will have the new shooters shoot last in their squad so they can see a few different ideas on how to negotiate a course.

frank_1947 09-21-2010 08:09 PM

I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge and have shot IDPA as well everyone has told you pretty much whats its about now practice your draw at home and moving keep your finger out of trigger while moving you will be DQed disqualified also do not break a 180 degree line, you will be hooked. My avatar is my Steel plate gun 9mm single stack with all the custom stuff Springfield Armory my USPSA gun is similar but double stack 9mm it is STI

FyreGuy 09-22-2010 01:10 PM

You missed at least one organiation -
ICORE

While revolver based, We have a monthly match and there are classes for those of us that don't shoot the old time guns with round magazines...

jtischauser 09-22-2010 04:54 PM

Here is your area's USPSA section page. Southeast Shooter - The Official USPSA Area 6 Web Site

I prefer USPSA but shoot them all. I am athletic and like to shoot a lot so the high round count (32 max) per stage and the run and gun style of USPSA/IPSC are for me.

IDPA is good too but it is basically a slower more deliberate version of USPSA with less movement, less racier guns, less prizes at big matches, more tactical.

Steel Challenge is great ot do but I use it for practice for 3 gun and USPSA. There is not much movement at all. It does train you how to transition targets faster and work the trigger smoother.

frank_1947 09-22-2010 05:18 PM

steel is great practice for the draw at our club we have a new person shoot steel before he or she shoots USPSA just to see if they can handle gun safely and to get use to drawing drop your gun you are DQed

jtischauser 09-22-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_1947 (Post 355508)
steel is great practice for the draw at our club we have a new person shoot steel before he or she shoots USPSA just to see if they can handle gun safely and to get use to drawing drop your gun you are DQed

Great Idea! Steel Chalenge is probably the best first match for anyone especially junior shooters that may not be physically strong enough to do a lot of gun manipulation.