Defense Pistol Competition? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting >

Defense Pistol Competition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2179 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

That is too bad. I have been shooting with my club for almost 2 years. They are a great bunch of guys. I run into them around town and we always stop and talk. I ran into a safety officer at Home Depot. My wife was with me. I introduced her to him. He offered to let her come along with me to shoot her 22mag. He told her it wouldn't be official. But she was welcome just for fun. It really is a great bunch of people. When I shot at the state match it was the same way. Russ from here at firearmstalk has shot there several times as well.

Don't let one bad experience ruin it for you. Try another club. Check the IDPA website. They will have a list of all the clubs in your area. I would drive an hour each way if I had too. There is nothing else like hanging around and shooting with a bunch of like minded individuals.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #22

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

The only other place to shoot in less than an hours drive is Durham Wildlife Club. You have to be a member to shoot in the pistol competitions. I am not spending $600 a year just to shoot IDPA. I shoot skeet and sporting clay at rose hill. I am a member at rose hill. We have a lot of fun at Rose Hill. It's more than just shooting. We ride mules the club is selling. We have pen raised quail and pheasants to train dogs. Some people shoot them. There is always something going on.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #23

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Okay, after reading the rules of IDPA, I don't believe that is the discipline I am looking for. It comes close, but there are too many restrictions.

1. My Browning Hi-Power clone cannot shoot in the Stock Service Pistol (even though it was a stock service pistol in Argentina.) (See IDPA Introduction)

2. When one is talking about Self-Defense, there are no "revolver neutral" breaks given by the bad guys. (CoF22)

3. Self Defense may require more than 18 rounds (CoF 19)

4. My Browning clone is capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the magazine, but that is what it is limited to in the "Enhanced Service Pistol". SD does not limit me to that. And my clone is far from "Enhanced".

I can go on and on, ad nauseam, but I think you understand.

So, avoiding the "far out world" of USPSA / IPSC, and the limitations of IDPA, is there a shooting discipline that is truly "Defensive Pistol"?
You can shoot ESP in IDPA. Any action pistol shooting is better than shooting standing at a stationary target.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Exactly how are you supposed to holster a gun IWB without sweeping yourself? Some of the nylon pancake holsters that fit real tight to the body are very tough to holster without sweeping yourself. So you have taken training in defying physics?

I prefer to shoot IDPA with a Ruger P95. The SO's come up with different rules at every match so I finally traded a Glock I had for an XD. At least with the DA I get consistent rules. In regards to my P95 I had a letter from the tiger team with an IDPA letterhead and contact numbers. SO's would get snotty and say the tiger team isn't running this match.

I am an old goat who shoots IDPA to get some target practice. I have no chance of winning a match. I do pretty well on a course of fire that is all steels at 25 yards I have won a few of them. But I mostly wanted to make friends. Coming from the shotgun world IDPA shooters are a bunch of snobs. I never met anyone I would want to make friends with.
Have you tried the IDPA match on Tryon Road at Personal Defense & Handgun Safety Center? So far they have been GREAT! One of the things I really like about shooting there and training there is that EVERYONE has been fantastic, very helpful, friendly, and generally the kind of people that I like to be around. I can't say this for any other group or endeavor I've tried before.

I'm going to try for the first time the IDPA match at "The Range" near Oxford this coming Sunday. Let me know if you are going cuz I do not think I will know many people there. If the ol' timers are a bit edgy, try the newcomers, like myself. We have nothing to boast about, and if we have a grain of sense, we LISTEN to those who go before us.

John

Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I was thinking of something that uses "modern equipment".

(And cowboy action shooting also has too many restrictions. Like only a 2 shot shotgun, revolvers if they represent something from yesteryear, modern semi-autos need not apply.)

What IDPA was originally designed for was okay.
From what I read in the rule book, on one page they say one thing, then on the next, something opposite.

"IDPA is a shooting sport that uses practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios.
IDPA shooting events require use of practical handguns and holsters that are truly suitable for self-defense. No “competition only” equipment is permitted in IDPA matches since the main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or gamesmanship."

This is from the rule book, but then in the firearms area, they start with restricting what firearm classes are allowed and what is or is not allowed in each class.

Understanding that the IDPA does not want an equipment war like IPSC, I still feel like they are restricting which "Defensive Pistol" I am allowed to use, how many rounds I can shoot, how many targets there should be in a course of fire, etc....
When I do cas I don't care what the other shooters are doing time wise. Shooting is shooting, doesn't matter if sa da sada dao single shot etc. Its shooting and gun handling. I can say this I went in as a ok pistol shot I've gone a helluva long way towards being a muuuuch better pistol shot.

One of the best lessons is operating firearms under pressure. Doesn't matter if they are relics or modern.

Whatever you decide get into a group that's got a good dynamic whether its cas idpa 3gun or nra matches. What's important is getting out there and competing under stress shooting and firearms manipulation.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #26
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8892 Times on 5319 Posts
Likes Given: 11889

While I was visiting Balota I was finally able to observe one of his IDPA matches. It looked fun and maybe a lot for me to learn. I'm going to look into IDPA near me.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-29-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #27
FTF_ADMIN.png

I am trying to post a couple videos that are on my iPhone but I can't figure it out. I can find my pictures but not my videos. Grrrrrr.......

Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1024 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 291

In albums there should be a Video album by default. They should also be in Camera Roll. If they are not there they are gone.
I email myself anything important. Makes for easy upload too!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 252

You're over thinking it.

Any practice is good. I will never be able to run with the big dogs, but guess what, I'm one hell of a lot better in a short period of time. The one tournament I'm enjoying, they have a non scored adhoc much more realistic stage. I shocked myself, and the RO with my reaction. Scenario was my front door had a visibly broken lock and my wife is in the house. I walked through the door and there's a photo of a bad guy holding my wife hostage. I dbl tapped him center forehead. Never said a word, which is what had the RO surprised. Apparently people yelled, negotiated, and even left because they couldn't make the shot. The only recommendation they had, don't dbl tap that shot.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #30
FTF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
In albums there should be a Video album by default. They should also be in Camera Roll. If they are not there they are gone.
I email myself anything important. Makes for easy upload too!
The videos are in my camera roll...........except for when I try to "manage attachments" here from FTF. Then I only see still photos.