Defense Pistol Competition? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting >

Defense Pistol Competition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

I shoot IDPA. I have been a regular competator for about a year and a half. I also shot in a few competitions with the Jail ministry. (I shot against officers not inmates. LOL)

The reasons for 10 round limits in magazines is just to make it fair. IDPA is international. Some states only allow people to own 10 round magazines. California is one of them. Our scores are compared to other people all over the country, and the world for that matter.

As far as revolver neutral...that just means that stages are to be set up where people using revolvers don't run out of ammo in between two disappearing target or while moving from one place of cover to another.
I have used a 44 mag twice in IDPA. Try it. You will see there is a huge disadvantage to using a revolver. I do it just for the challenge. Out of 51 shooters, three of us were using revolvers at the July match.

Shooting in different divisions is again simply to make it fair. It would not be fair to let people shooting a single action auto to compete against people using a double action trigger. At the end of a match I compare my final score against everyone, not just my division. That just makes me feel good to know that I out shot 18 autos with my revolver. But I admit some of the other shooters swept the floor with me. But that is what it is.

Just go try it before you decide you don't like it. I dare you to not have a good time!
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Another reason for a 10 round limit is to force the shooter to reload. The average course of fire requires 18 shots. Limiting shooters to 10 shots per magazine forces a tactical reload. Every experienced shooter tries to reload while moving to another position of cover. The courses of fire are set up so the shooter should be able to shoot the first section with 8 or 9 shots. If everything goes right the shooter should have one shot in the chamber at the end of the course of fire.

I have to salute the promoters of IDPA and ZSA (zombie shooters of America) in this area. They can create realistic courses of fire with a couple junk cars and some cardboard. I have been shooting ZSA a lot more than IDPA lately. The lack of rules allow promoters to create courses of fire that are suitable for a wide range of weapons. In this area ZSA matches have several divisions allowing the shooter to shoot everything from shotguns to single action revolvers. ZSA even has fun matches that are shot with 22 LR pistols and rifles.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3532 Times on 2027 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

My schedule should allow me to hit the local competition this month.

I'm going to use my Hi-Power clone and Fobus holster and mag carriers.

Can't wait!!!!

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #14

Did you get to shoot yet? Let us know if you had a good time.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #15

I shot in the Colorado State Championship on Saturday. I took first place for my division. I was the only one in it! LOL. I got a plaque for not shooting myself I guess. LOL. My wife says it was because I was the only one man enough to bring a 44 mag! One of the Safety Officers asked, "So does anyone have a 4 inch 29?" I said, "I do but it is a 629." He was shocked and said, "I was only joking!" When I was done there were burn marks on all the barricades that I stood next to! I had an awesome time!!!
People Like This 
Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1921 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I shot in the Colorado State Championship on Saturday. I took first place for my division. I was the only one in it! LOL. I got a plaque for not shooting myself I guess. LOL. My wife says it was because I was the only one man enough to bring a 44 mag! One of the Safety Officers asked, "So does anyone have a 4 inch 29?" I said, "I do but it is a 629." He was shocked and said, "I was only joking!" When I was done there were burn marks on all the barricades that I stood next to! I had an awesome time!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #17

Thanks RockRatt.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #18

Liked 455 Times on 267 Posts

I love IDPA events. I shoot them as often as I can. I use a Steyr C9-A1 or a Glock 34. Sucks you don't like it. Mine is full of good people. Have you looked into the USPSA (The United States Practical Shooting Association)? It's different than IPSC and IDPA.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6825 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Sometimes its not easy to find good idpa folks. Where I'm at I've settled on cas just because the local idpa group is more anal retentive than 2 dozen geeks having a dungeons and dragons nerd off...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #20

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Sometimes its not easy to find good idpa folks. Where I'm at I've settled on cas just because the local idpa group is more anal retentive than 2 dozen geeks having a dungeons and dragons nerd off...
It is tough to find a good IDPA group here. There is an IDPA range near here that I shoot at every few months. They mark my time on every course of fire at 53 seconds. They usually have one course of fire that is all steel. I usually shoot the steels without a miss.

On day one a competitor threatened to shoot me during the safety orientation. I didn't say a word but I had my hand on the 380 in my pocket. I don't know how that range got selected as the location of the 2012 national championships. Maybe the people at IDPA corporate are birds of a feather. When someone threatens to shoot another competitor before he has had a chance to introduce himself, and he is still there, they are butt buddies. Now I know what they are about I call them butt buddies to their face.

Here is the URL for this place. Don't worry I am not scared to tell them exactly what I posted: http://www.the-range.com/

Last edited by John_Deer; 08-30-2013 at 10:05 PM.