Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Defense Pistol Competition?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2640 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1171

Default Defense Pistol Competition?

Okay, after reading the rules of IDPA, I don't believe that is the discipline I am looking for. It comes close, but there are too many restrictions.

1. My Browning Hi-Power clone cannot shoot in the Stock Service Pistol (even though it was a stock service pistol in Argentina.) (See IDPA Introduction)

2. When one is talking about Self-Defense, there are no "revolver neutral" breaks given by the bad guys. (CoF22)

3. Self Defense may require more than 18 rounds (CoF 19)

4. My Browning clone is capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the magazine, but that is what it is limited to in the "Enhanced Service Pistol". SD does not limit me to that. And my clone is far from "Enhanced".

I can go on and on, ad nauseam, but I think you understand.

So, avoiding the "far out world" of USPSA / IPSC, and the limitations of IDPA, is there a shooting discipline that is truly "Defensive Pistol"?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 05-31-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Okay, after reading the rules of IDPA, I don't believe that is the discipline I am looking for. It comes close, but there are too many restrictions.

1. My Browning Hi-Power clone cannot shoot in the Stock Service Pistol (even though it was a stock service pistol in Argentina.) (See IDPA Introduction)

2. When one is talking about Self-Defense, there are no "revolver neutral" breaks given by the bad guys. (CoF22)

3. Self Defense may require more than 18 rounds (CoF 19)

4. My Browning clone is capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the magazine, but that is what it is limited to in the "Enhanced Service Pistol". SD does not limit me to that. And my clone is far from "Enhanced".

I can go on and on, ad nauseam, buit I think you understand.

So, avoiding the "far out world" of USPSA / IPSC, and the limitations of IDPA, is there a shooting discipline that is truly "Defensive Pistol"?
Cowboy Action Shooting.

:-P

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2640 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1171

I was thinking of something that uses "modern equipment".

(And cowboy action shooting also has too many restrictions. Like only a 2 shot shotgun, revolvers if they represent something from yesteryear, modern semi-autos need not apply.)

What IDPA was originally designed for was okay.
From what I read in the rule book, on one page they say one thing, then on the next, something opposite.

"IDPA is a shooting sport that uses practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios.
IDPA shooting events require use of practical handguns and holsters that are truly suitable for self-defense. No “competition only” equipment is permitted in IDPA matches since the main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or gamesmanship."

This is from the rule book, but then in the firearms area, they start with restricting what firearm classes are allowed and what is or is not allowed in each class.

Understanding that the IDPA does not want an equipment war like IPSC, I still feel like they are restricting which "Defensive Pistol" I am allowed to use, how many rounds I can shoot, how many targets there should be in a course of fire, etc....

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

Liked 4532 Times on 2191 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Dan,

I used to shoot NRA Action Pistol competition and found them to be pretty good for CCW training.

It is restricted to (6) rounds in the magazine so revolvers and autos can compete evenly but I just chalked this up to an opportunity to practice tactical magazine changes under stress... which I would not consider to be a bad thing to practice.

The equipment rules are pretty loose and geared toward limiting competitors to "realistic" carry guns in "realistic" carry holsters.

Several scenario's, some with barricades, timed engagements, and several requiring a reload.

Your Hi Power would be fine and I'd highly recommend this program.

It's amazing how quickly you figure out what your doing wrong... and correct it, when your forced to do it under stress.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

You can CREATE a realistic shooting sport, you know. why are there 4 bases in baseball, not 3 or 5? because somebody SAID so, in the beginning, that's why! Why do you have to dribble a basketball, hmm? because somebody set up the sport that way.

Long ago, I got a couple of dozen people to show up regularly, by putting out a lot of my time and a bit of money, but not a lot. I designed and ran the matches. People agreed to my rules, because i paid 30% of the purse, (guaranteeing a 10 person purse), to the winner, 20% to 2nd place, 10% to third place, 5% to 4th place. If i were to do this today, I'd guarantee a 20 place purse, pay 18% to 1st, 16% to 2nd, 14% to 3rd, 12% to 4th, 10% to 5th, 8% to 6th, 6% to 7th, 4% to 8th place, and the remaining 14% to 20th place. :-) This last thing would be a sort of door prize, actually, but it would help see to it that I'd get at least 20 entrants. Then all I'd have to do is win and I'd get 18%. At $15 or so per entry, that's $50 or so if I won. That sort of money being "winnable' WILL get people to come to your matches, and play by your rules. You can adjust the % of the purse, the guarantee, the number of places paid, the % reserved for "the club" (ie you) to whatever amount suits you, of course.

Then you can make the ranges and times realistic, like sub 5 yds and sub 1.5 seconds, and let people start "hand on gun" in their pants or coat pockets, or in "low ready", or holding the gun at their side, or whatever. Never more than 3 targets per string of fire, normally just one. Half of the time, run such matches in the dark, with half of the shots fired with and half without a flashlight being required.

"Darkness" is easily had, actually, with a few 2x4's and 2-3 layers of black construction sheet plastic. :-) It's not burglars in your home that you have to worry about. Punks on the street or in vehicles are 4x as likely to be the issue.

Last edited by ttsl; 05-31-2013 at 07:24 PM.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

No, but you can easily create one. Quit waiting for someone else to do all the work. Just guarantee a $400 purse, pay out most of the money to the first 6 places, 18%, 16%, and so on, with 5% or more to 20th place, (sort of a door prize, really) and you'll get 20+ guys to pay you $20 entry fees. So all you have to do is WIN, and you'll lose very little, if any money. :-) Then, Like John Bianchi, you can set whatever rules you want, and the guys will abide by them. Especially so if you have low cost rental gear available (and advertise this).

Put up line drawing-reproducion posters at the gun shows, shops, ranges, laundromats, restaurants, wallys, etc. I even put them up at a college when I did this. :-) Provide the little "tear off" strips with a (throwaway) cell phone number and a gmail free email addy. (likewise untracable). U will get some "haters" on your case, you know.

Last edited by bildee; 07-24-2013 at 04:59 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1381 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Really IDPA doesn't allow real world holsters. You can only be competitive with an OWB holster. Using a IWB holster every course of fire would be timed at 53 seconds (max penalties). The timer doesn't stop until you holster your gun. I don't understand how holstering your gun has anything to do with self defense. You are penalized and sometimes DQed for pointing the gun at yourself while holstering the empty weapon.

This could easily be resolved by stopping the timer when you dry fire to show the gun is empty.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Really IDPA doesn't allow real world holsters. You can only be competitive with an OWB holster. Using a IWB holster every course of fire would be timed at 53 seconds (max penalties). The timer doesn't stop until you holster your gun. I don't understand how holstering your gun has anything to do with self defense. You are penalized and sometimes DQed for pointing the gun at yourself while holstering the empty weapon.

This could easily be resolved by stopping the timer when you dry fire to show the gun is empty.
I dunno if you've actually shot an idpa match or not, but you time stops when you shoot your last shot, not when you holster your weapon.

Also sweeping your body is a no no in any kind of competition shooting out there. Actually in any kind of training that you will ever take.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1381 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhee321 View Post
I dunno if you've actually shot an idpa match or not, but you time stops when you shoot your last shot, not when you holster your weapon.

Also sweeping your body is a no no in any kind of competition shooting out there. Actually in any kind of training that you will ever take.
Exactly how are you supposed to holster a gun IWB without sweeping yourself? Some of the nylon pancake holsters that fit real tight to the body are very tough to holster without sweeping yourself. So you have taken training in defying physics?

I prefer to shoot IDPA with a Ruger P95. The SO's come up with different rules at every match so I finally traded a Glock I had for an XD. At least with the DA I get consistent rules. In regards to my P95 I had a letter from the tiger team with an IDPA letterhead and contact numbers. SO's would get snotty and say the tiger team isn't running this match.

I am an old goat who shoots IDPA to get some target practice. I have no chance of winning a match. I do pretty well on a course of fire that is all steels at 25 yards I have won a few of them. But I mostly wanted to make friends. Coming from the shotgun world IDPA shooters are a bunch of snobs. I never met anyone I would want to make friends with.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 08-06-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

Exactly how are you supposed to holster a gun IWB without sweeping yourself? Some of the nylon pancake holsters that fit real tight to the body are very tough to holster without sweeping yourself. So you have taken training in defying physics?

I prefer to shoot IDPA with a Ruger P95. The SO's come up with different rules at every match so I finally traded a Glock I had for an XD. At least with the DA I get consistent rules. In regards to my P95 I had a letter from the tiger team with an IDPA letterhead and contact numbers. SO's would get snotty and say the tiger team isn't running this match.

I am an old goat who shoots IDPA to get some target practice. I have no chance of winning a match. I do pretty well on a course of fire that is all steels at 25 yards I have won a few of them. But I mostly wanted to make friends. Coming from the shotgun world IDPA shooters are a bunch of snobs. I never met anyone I would want to make friends with.
I'm sorry that your experiences with idpa haven't been good ones. Perhaps looking for a different club might be the answer. I've been shooting idpa for about 6 months only and the clubs I have been to are great! I haven't really came across any snobs. Mostly friendly and very helpful.

As far as the bolstering without sweeping yourself.. Try bringing the gun to the outside of the holster first as if you had an owb. That should be easily accomplished without sweeping yourself. The pulling the gun up and then into the holster.