Cowboy Action Shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Cowboy Action Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cowboy Action Shooting

Anybody here that does Cowboy Action? I am considering it. Looks like tons of fun and let's face it, who wouldn't want to dress up like a cowboy every now and then and shoot stuff! I just inherited a Cimmaron Evil Roy, which is what made me start looking into it. So come tax return I'm thinking of pairing it with another, picking up a nice Mernickle holster, and a cheap Baikal MP220. Probably pick up the lever action mid next year. I'm more of a modern firearm person but really enjoy shooting single actions, probably even more so than my semis. I have a local SASS group that gets together the 1st Sunday every month so I have a place to check it out and see if it's for me.Any body care to share some experiences? Anybody start and decide it wasn't for them and why? Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #2

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I would love to, but there are no matches within reasonable driving distance for me.

One thing to consider is the initial cost to get set up. It will be a lot more than you think. Not 1, but 2 SA revos, 1 lever gun, and 1 period correct shotgun. You will need to be able to reload, so possibly all those components because you'll be shooting lead bullets. Then you'll need a cart for your guns, ammo, and gear. Then leather holsters which aren't cheap. And lastly, attire like hat, boots, etc. All those will add up faster than you think.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

There are cheaper shooting sports. You can buy a used shotgun and start shooting skeet. I occasionally shoot Steel Challenge with a .22 autopistol; that is a great way to get going with competitive shooting-you don't even need a holster if you shoot rimfire! You can shoot IDPA or USPSA with a pistol or revolver that you might already own, for relatively little in the way of additional equipment.

Yes, in cowboy action we use two revolvers (need holsters for those), a pistol caliber rifle and a shotgun. There are clothes to consider and yes most of us have guncarts to carry around the long guns, ammo and supplies (gotta take along some beef jerky or whatever).

The good news is that you don't have to buy the most expensive guns out there. You can really do the costuming and gun cart on a shoestring. Also, I assembled my gear as I went along-it took me a full year to get all my guns. During that year, I pulled my weight in my local club and the other shooters shared hardware with me. Now I do the same for the new folks coming along.

I've met Steel Challenge shooters who have $1500 or more in a single .22 pistol. Take a look at what some of the modern 3 Gun shooters have in their guns.

Not much different from other hobbies where people spend serious money on bass boats, motorcycles, you name it.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Go to one of the shoots and talk to the people there. Most are VERY friendly and will answer any questions you have. They will lend you a gun if you do not have one and usually can give you some advise on where to find some good used ones. Cimmaron and Uberti make less expensive clone sixguns. Stoeger Arms makes some nice double barrel coach guns. The lever action in pistol caliber will probably be your most expensive gun. The last time I was at Cabelas they had a few used ones that were not priced too bad.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

My wife wants to do the Cowboy/Girl stuff, but I'm looking into Wild Bunch. They have shoots on a private ranch just a bit north of where we live. The guy who is letting me apprentice with him(smithing) is a shooter there as well.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

For the benefit of other readers of this thread, "Wild Bunch Action Shooting" is a three gun sport in which the competitor uses a .45 caliber 1911 pistol, a lever action or pump action rifle in a pistol caliber of at least .40 caliber, and a 12 gauge pump shotgun (Winchester 1897 or Winchester Model 12).

It is a "spinoff" of cowboy action shooting so it is offered primarily by clubs that are already shooting cowboy action.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cowboy Action

It's a ball of laughs! My SASS number is 13790. I've been in many years. There are more than one brand of club, SASS is by far the largest. You can go sassnet the SASS website and reserve your handle. When you come up with several names you like, then you can check to see if it's already in use. You don't have to have all your guns or outfit. They will loan you guns and help with a simple outfit. Plan on makin' some of the best friends you've ever had! If your not sure about gun safety, they'll even teach you that part! Main thing just enjoy! You can just Google SASS to get to the website. Let me know if I can help! Neversleeps, 13790. I got the name because I portray a Pinkerton agent. The Pinkerton motto is "We never sleep"!

Kind Regards,
Charlie47

towboater Likes This 
Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2155 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 801

If cowboy action shooting is not in your area there is zombie shooters of America (ZSA). ZSA is a spin off of IDPA. You shoot IDPA targets but you can shoot with a 22 LR if you want too. There are no equipment rules beyond your gun has to be in good condition. Quite often after the ZSA match we shoot another match with single action pistols. It is a good feeling to shoot all 36 targets in the head.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

towboater Likes This 
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #9

Liked 252 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Check out CAS City Forum Hall
CAS City is affiliated with everything considered Cowboy action shooting

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 02-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

That's some heavy duty site/forum there.....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...