Cowboy Action - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Cowboy Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I'm about to celebrate the 4th anniversary of my first cowboy match. I am having the time of my life shooting cowboy. My wife joined me a little over a year ago so now the fun (and the consumption of reloading components) has doubled.

I would encourage you and anyone else who thinks they may be interested to attend a local cowboy match and check it out in person. Go to the SASS website and click on "SASS Clubs" to find groups in your area. There will be a club contact if you have any questions.

Most cowboy clubs are very interested in having visitors and in helping new shooters get started. Some clubs have clinics or new shooter days to help you get your feet wet once you decide to give it a try. I was bowled over with the reception that I got when I showed up (with no guns, no cowboy clothes but some ammo) to check out the fun.

You can't show up to watch one of our matches without being mobbed by shooters eager to answer questions and encouraging you to give it a try. Every cowboy club I've visited has been this way.

I have shown up at other shooting matches (whether to watch or to compete) and people barely acknowledge your presence. Maybe they have all the shooters they want. That's not the cowboy way.

You don't have to gather all the guns and gear before you are welcome. In fact, it's usually best that you come to a match before you start buying guns and leather. You might buy the wrong stuff!

If I can help anyone on the board with questions about cowboy action shooting (or the related game of Wild Bunch Action Shooting), feel free to send me a PM.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm interested in it as well. The wife and I might start when we get to NC.

Good luck to you. I think you'll probably enjoy it. I've literally never heard someone say they didn't enjoy it after trying it once.

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Hey, JW357; go to www.carolinacowboys.us and click on the NC Cowboy Clubs link; it will display a page showing all the clubs in the Tarheel State, organized by the day of the month when they shoot. There are links to the club websites, too.

Very good clubs in North Carolina. Good folks, too. They will make you welcome.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFrog View Post
Hey, JW357; go to www.carolinacowboys.us and click on the NC Cowboy Clubs link; it will display a page showing all the clubs in the Tarheel State, organized by the day of the month when they shoot. There are links to the club websites, too.

Very good clubs in North Carolina. Good folks, too. They will make you welcome.
Thanks. I appreciate the link. I'll check it out later.

I believe there's one in the area I'll be living in. But I'll check out the link anyway.

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I cast my own 45 bullets and load my own but it takes a few days to get through the entire proccess if you want high quality bullets to end product. Mostly drying and cooling times. I give my bullets a day to cool and a day for the alox lube to dry. So if I space making bullets I can just run reserve 45 acp using the exact same bullet and powder charge. I always keep some of those on hand just in case.

Local range sells once fired brass and I go by there couple times a month and I can sometimes snag a bag of 45colt brass 500ct for 39$... I've got around 6 or 7 thousand pieces atm.

My loading cost for colt is just a few cents a pop especially since I use reduced loads of trailboss.

Take a look at the rugers, I know its heresy, but I like them better than the colt saa
A lot of CAS shooters prefer the Rugers. They are far more rugged than the Colts and their clones. Also, .38 is more often than not the round of choice for smokeless shooters these days.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.