Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Cowboy Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cowboy Action

Anybody here that does Cowboy Action? I am considering it. Looks like tons of fun and let's face it, who wouldn't want to dress up like a cowboy every now and then and shoot stuff! It would probably be more for fun than competition, or maybe just a bit of light competition.I just inherited a Cimmaron Evil Roy, which is what made me start looking into it. So come tax return I'm thinking of pairing it with another, picking up a nice Mernickle holster, and a cheap Baikal MP220. Probably pick up the lever action around late spring. I'm more of a modern firearm person but really enjoy shooting single actions, probably even more so than my semis. I have a local SASS group that gets together the 1st Sunday every month so I have a place to check it out and see if it's for me.Any body care to share some experiences? Anybody start and decide it wasn't for them and why? Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #2

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

It does sound like fun! I also recently stumbled across a used Cimarron at a good price. It's the lower priced Model P 45 Colt with a 4.75" barrel. Nice reproduction (made by Uberti) of the Colt SAA which I've always wanted. I doubt I'll go all cowboy but am enjoying the 45 Colt and shooting a single action revolver.

No doubt you'll enjoy your Evil Roys!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 211

You will have a ball. The people are friendly and helpful. You can be a cowboy and just have a good time. SASS has a web site. Check out YouTube.
You can enter the "dark side" and use black powder.
Have fun!

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Go for it! Lots of fun. You will find most are there to enjoy the game rather than going "all-out" to win. As much a social event as competition

Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

Considering how much 'work' I have to do to get one bullet anywhere near my target, with a semi, and with both hands; can people actually hit multiple targets quickly, one handed, with a single action, 'hip' shooting?

Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm looking forward to checking it out. If anybody else live in the Colorado Springs area and is also interested let me know. I'm gonna check out the Colorado Shaketails. They get together the1st Sunday every month. Probably check it out Feb or March. I don't mind lending my firearms if you don't have Cowboy Action Approved guns. But may or may not have the lever till around June

Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 334

I do cas in Wisconsin. I use a pair of ruger new vaqueros in 45colt, uberti 1873 in 45colt, and a cz hammercoach. IIt's a ton of fun, I'm a modern gun shooter but I like cas better. If you don't load your own... Better start, cowboy calibers aren't cheap.

I like the new vaquero better because mine came with 45acp cylinders and the acp gives me a bit of versatility if I'm running short of 45colt

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #8

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Considering how much 'work' I have to do to get one bullet anywhere near my target, with a semi, and with both hands; can people actually hit multiple targets quickly, one handed, with a single action, 'hip' shooting?
Pistol targets are roughly 16 inches at around 7 yards and you don't have to shoot one handed. Speed is the key tho and some of the shooters are really fast.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Vincine Likes This 
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #9

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I do cas in Wisconsin. I use a pair of ruger new vaqueros in 45colt, uberti 1873 in 45colt, and a cz hammercoach. IIt's a ton of fun, I'm a modern gun shooter but I like cas better. If you don't load your own... Better start, cowboy calibers aren't cheap.

I like the new vaquero better because mine came with 45acp cylinders and the acp gives me a bit of versatility if I'm running short of 45colt
You're not kidding about 45 Colt, Walmart has the Winchester cowboy low velocity load 50 rds for $42. Cabelas has Herters/Sellier&Bellot for $35. Ouch!

So that's a great advantage having a 45ACP cylinder. I'd get one for my Cimarron (basically a rebadged Uberti 1873 Cattleman) but it seems they've been scarce as hen's teeth for the last year.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 334

I cast my own 45 bullets and load my own but it takes a few days to get through the entire proccess if you want high quality bullets to end product. Mostly drying and cooling times. I give my bullets a day to cool and a day for the alox lube to dry. So if I space making bullets I can just run reserve 45 acp using the exact same bullet and powder charge. I always keep some of those on hand just in case.

Local range sells once fired brass and I go by there couple times a month and I can sometimes snag a bag of 45colt brass 500ct for 39$... I've got around 6 or 7 thousand pieces atm.

My loading cost for colt is just a few cents a pop especially since I use reduced loads of trailboss.

Take a look at the rugers, I know its heresy, but I like them better than the colt saa

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-12-2013 at 01:07 AM.