Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Correct me about 3 gun matches...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1785 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Default Correct me about 3 gun matches...

In the beginning of 3 gun matches, weren't they more about tactics (I.E. use of cover and that sort of thing) or am I thinking of a different style of match? Didn't you used to have to carry all your weapons on the different stages? When did they turn into what I see today? I mean I was watching a video today and if the targets had been armed no one would have survived.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 03-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started shooting 3-gun matches about 20 years ago. Yes. We used to do more tactical shooting than what I see in some competitions today. Shooting in roll-over prone, under low hanging obstacles, long and short range, usually not transitioning more than twice in each segment. Every match can be set up (and should be) differently so that there is a wide variety of things occurring. We used to do current topic shooting in setting up matches like airplane assaults after similar tactical events in the news. We did LA bank robbery type scenarios after that incident. As much for training as competition.

Steve