Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Competition shooting question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Competition shooting question...

Do any of the competition shooting organizations have a winnings purse, where the top shooters earn money? I don't mean to sound shallow but it would be nice to be able to pay for my practice ammo and possible pistol upgrades.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2008, 01:22 AM   #2

IDPA has rules for it and yeah you can win stuff but I don't remember specifically what the rules are. If I remember right it cannot be money but I could be wrong.

I shoot rimfire and bigbore silhouette and no you don't win anything per match. At the end of the season they give out plaques for the overall top shooters.

But I wouldn't expect to make much money competition shooting unless you could get picked up as a factory shooter for someone. You better be DAMN good too. Even at the little local IDPA matches some of those guys are fast and accurate and they are local guys who would get spanked by the big guys.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 PM   #3

If you can beat Jerry Miculek at the IRC you can choose to take the cash or walk the prize table..

Steel challenge has cash prizes for fastest times shot as well as side matches where you can win guns and all kinds of other stuff.

At the IRC last year, out of 200 ish shooters, about 70 of us won guns.. I picked up a S&W 657 for a 24th Limited division finish.. and I was shooting a 6-shooter

In the years since I've been putting in my time I've won brass, bullets, a few guns, powder, and various other prizes. If you practice like I do, you never really break even, but you don't do too bad either. in 2007 I fired about 15,000 rounds most of it in my 610.. This year I'll probably fire at least that much, half in my 627, the other half in my 610.. and maybe a few k here and there with a 22, and one or two other calibers.. you never really break even unless you are a sponsored shooter.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #4

Thanks Sargenv for the info J.K. I was hoping I could find a way to supplement my shooting expenses.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
Thanks Sargenv for the info J.K. I was hoping I could find a way to supplement my shooting expenses.
Everytime I put up a nice group. The smile on my face is reward enough

Old 03-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #6

I have done some 3 gun matches with cash payouts. When you win a payout at best it covers the entry fee, ammo for the match and lunch afterwards. The matches I do 3 gun at are about a 150 mile round trip and with gas prices...

Needless to say unless you are good enough to get sponsorship with a company you most likely never win enough to off set the cost much.

When I do win anything it normaly goes for dinner after or gets set aside for the next match. I have had winnings from a match that was less than the entry fee.

Compete for fun and self improvement, if you are more focused on the other competitors than shooting the match you will most likely have the course kick your but with a simple mistake. Making it a paying job instead of sport or hobby will take the fun out of it.

If you are a good shooter and can teach people maybe getting creditenals as a firearms instructer will maybe make a little money at shooting.

"They say you can't use a rifle or shotgun indoors because a bad guy will grab the barrel. Yeah? Well, he better hang on, 'cause I'm gonna light him up and it will definitely be an "E" ticket ride."
"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but hes gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty."
Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Old 07-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #7

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I was gonna ask the same question to find a better way to supplement my expenses related to shooting. I always thought those guys made tons of money doing that, oh well. I mow grass for neighbors and friends to pay for ammo and new "toys". Took me a while to save up for my new AR.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #8

The way those guys make money is they are paid by SW Springfield Para and more, Rob Leathom, Jerry cant spell his last name, Doug koenig just to name a few

Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_1947 View Post
The way those guys make money is they are paid by SW Springfield Para and more, Rob Leathom, Jerry cant spell his last name, Doug koenig just to name a few
The top dogs make a fair piece of change doing training. They can bring
in $500 and more per shooter for classes of 10-12 shooters. They
also do DOD and LE training, it all adds up. Still---it's a long hard pull
to reach that level, and the ones that make a living at it are a pretty
short list. If you are a really good customer of the local gun shop
(and you SHOULD be), see if you can work out a deal with them for a little
support. I've known a few that got ammo etc. in return for wearing a
"Joes Gun Shop" shirt to the matches.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #10

Yep Todd Jarrett just had one at our range $500 a head 10 guys 2 days then they shot our local match, it is something to watch the difference in a Master with a Open gun and a Grand Master with a Limited gun