Competition shooting - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Competition shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I shoot in competition for my high school and when at regionals there were all kinds of shotguns anywhere from skeet O/U guns to mossberg 500s. Of course this is a high school tournament so it is very far from professional and most people don't wanna spend money on a gun solely for shooting clay pigeons. Although first place went to my friend using a Remington 870, having an expensive trap gun versus a hunting gun such as a pump only really makes a difference when you get to doubles. seeing as you have to eject the shell and load a new one opposed to using an O/U or an automatic.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #12

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbadger View Post
I shoot in competition for my high school and when at regionals there were all kinds of shotguns anywhere from skeet O/U guns to mossberg 500s. Of course this is a high school tournament so it is very far from professional and most people don't wanna spend money on a gun solely for shooting clay pigeons. Although first place went to my friend using a Remington 870, having an expensive trap gun versus a hunting gun such as a pump only really makes a difference when you get to doubles. seeing as you have to eject the shell and load a new one opposed to using an O/U or an automatic.
I think that is awesome that your high school has a team for that! the only two outdoors programs high schools have around here are a youth bow unit through gym classes....and a few high schools have a single two man competitive bass fishing team...no shooting sports, sadly.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve

I think that is awesome that your high school has a team for that! the only two outdoors programs high schools have around here are a youth bow unit through gym classes....and a few high schools have a single two man competitive bass fishing team...no shooting sports, sadly.
I love it but the only people who seem to even know about it at school are the rednecks! We got second at regionals and 17th at state which is the best we've ever done and that was hardly mentioned in any announcements. We did get our own spot in the yearbook though haha. That's too bad that the ones around you don't I'm in western NC. The team does rifle, bow, shotgun, and orienteering. I'm regionals we took first in shotgun and first in orienteering, my friend who one shotgun individually was using a pump as well as the person he competed with in doubles. So those fancy guns don't mean a thing if you can't use them.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #14

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbadger View Post

I love it but the only people who seem to even know about it at school are the rednecks! We got second at regionals and 17th at state which is the best we've ever done and that was hardly mentioned in any announcements. We did get our own spot in the yearbook though haha. That's too bad that the ones around you don't I'm in western NC. The team does rifle, bow, shotgun, and orienteering. I'm regionals we took first in shotgun and first in orienteering, my friend who one shotgun individually was using a pump as well as the person he competed with in doubles. So those fancy guns don't mean a thing if you can't use them.
Always shot clays with a pump also...it was enjoyable...though if I would have had an O/U .....would have used it instead.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 06-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve

Always shot clays with a pump also...it was enjoyable...though if I would have had an O/U .....would have used it instead.
I'm more into rifle than I am shotgun I use a browning T-bolt. My "skeet gun" is a browning B-80 12 gauge, I would've used my benelli 20 gauge but the guy in charge of the shooting team will pay for 12 gauge shells but not 20s. I mean who doesn't love free ammo?