Competition handgun suggestions? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Competition handgun suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Actually it doesn't, the Glock when you chamber a round, decocks it's self and fires only Double Action (DAO), the XD's do not decock themselves and remain cocked and locked and are SA, but do have two safeties one pistol grip and one trigger. So Glocks should be used SSP only and XDs ESP only. Pistols with a hammer and manual safety can be used DA or SA and can be used in both SSP or ESP.

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 01-19-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Actually it doesn't, the Glock when you chamber a round, decocks it's self and fires only Double Action (DAO), the XD's do not decock themselves and remain cocked and locked and are SA, but do have two safeties one pistol grip and one trigger. So Glocks should be used SSP only and XDs ESP only. Pistols with a hammer and manual safety can be used DA or SA and can be used in both SSP or ESP.

Jim
Not quite.

1. Decocked
2. Pistol is charged. Round is chambered, and striker set at half-cock
3. Trigger pulled. Striker is fully cocked, then released
4. Recoil charges the pistol again, chambering a new round and setting the striker back at half-cock.

This is how striker-fired pistols work, be they Glock or XD. The Glock adds a trigger safety, which must be depressed before the trigger can be pulled, and the XD further adds the grip safety, which must be depressed in order for the slide to move, but the trigger action is the same.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #13

You are almost right, but that little stainless pin that sticks out from the back of the XD means you are fully cocked and ready to fire (not decocked). Don't take my word for it check with the manufacturer or look at your XD. It is the same for my Taurus PT140, once the round is chambered the pistol is ready for SA fire, even though it has no hammer.

Jim

Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
You are almost right, but that little stainless pin that sticks out from the back of the XD means you are fully cocked and ready to fire (not decocked). Don't take my word for it check with the manufacturer or look at your XD. It is the same for my Taurus PT140, once the round is chambered the pistol is ready for SA fire, even though it has no hammer.

Jim
Ready to fire in the sense that pulling the trigger will fire, yes. ONLY releasing the striker at that point, though, will not generate enough energy to fire. This is true of both the Glock and the XD, because the cocking cycle completes only when the trigger is pulled. I guess this was enough for IDPA to classify striker-fired pistols as double action.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 01-19-2010 at 02:40 AM.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #15

Check with the manufacturer.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #16

Yeah with in the next few weeks I'm going to get an xdm. Ill regret it if I dont

~ You sit there with a mass murderer. A mass murderer, your heart rate is jacked. And your hand, steady. That's something I figured out about myself in prison. My hand never shakes.~
Springfield XD 45acp
Taurus PT-25

Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Per IDPA HQ, the XD can not be used in SSP. You can down load to eight rounds in the magazine and shoot a 45 ACP XD in the CDP division or you can load it to ten rounds and shoot any caliber in ESP. Like I said though, SSP is not an option for an XD. The Glock and M&P can go SSP, ESP, or CDP depending on caliber. You can contact IDPA HQ for their "reasoning", but that's their answer.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #18

Default .22 Cal Competition Pistol

IMHO there is only one the S&W Model 41. You can get it with a 7" or 5.5" barrel, there is also a 7" barrel with integral compensator. They are super accurate. You can put 1911 grips on them, a magwell, just about any optic, they can really be customized including removing the slide tang or changing to a Bully Custom Barrel (used by top shooters in .22 cal steel plate competition).

They are pricey but you will never regret it. I have one and in 12,000+ rounds only had five FTEs' and that was in 35 - 38 degree temperatures. The coating on the rounds got sticky.

All .22 cal pistols are ammo sensitive and you will need to find what works best in you particular pistol.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As stated, it depends on the competition. I shot many years in bullseye with a bull bbl ruger MKII and changed out the trigger and sear. It will keep up with any S&W 41 out there (had a 41 and sold it when I got the ruger because of the price difference).
Kim

Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #20

i would prefer the Beretta 92F. it is reliable and is accurate.

Tags
ruger mark iii