Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Competition handgun suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Competition handgun suggestions?

So this is a totally new thing to me. Is it all about .22 cals and long barrels? So far I really like the ruger mark III comp. But can anyone tell me what makes a pistol competition worthy and maybe so guns to check out.
Thanks a lot

~ You sit there with a mass murderer. A mass murderer, your heart rate is jacked. And your hand, steady. That's something I figured out about myself in prison. My hand never shakes.~
Springfield XD 45acp
Taurus PT-25

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #2

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Sorry trs, I though you were talking about IDPA, their min requirement there is 9mm. I own a couple of 22's and I like your choice of the Ruger Mark III. My choice would be the 6 inch Hunter. You just have to love those fluted barrels but the 6 inch Slab Side would be a good choice also.

Jim

Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #3

Either way I want to get a gold plated mark iii. What's a 9mm you reccomend

~ You sit there with a mass murderer. A mass murderer, your heart rate is jacked. And your hand, steady. That's something I figured out about myself in prison. My hand never shakes.~
Springfield XD 45acp
Taurus PT-25

Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstncmpbll View Post
Either way I want to get a gold plated mark iii. What's a 9mm you reccomend

I always get in trouble making recomendation, BUT - I purchased two guns for IDPA competition. These are not ones that I am going to worry about puting 10,000 or more rounds through. They were bought to be beaten up.
Each match you shoot is between 100 and 150 rounds per match, 6 or 7 matches per year.

The first was a Taurus PT92 AFS in stainless steel 9mm.

The second was a FNH FNP-40 also in stainless steel 40 S&W.

This one just said take me home, take me home.

A lot of people will tell you to get a Glock 17 (9mm) but with out a hammer and manual safety with will limit the class you can use it in.

Get a stainless PT92 and it will nock your socks off on how well you can shoot. There are six stages to each match, on the last one I shot this year I fired 31 shots in 40 seconds with no points down (no misses).

Jim

Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstncmpbll View Post
So this is a totally new thing to me. Is it all about .22 cals and long barrels? So far I really like the ruger mark III comp. But can anyone tell me what makes a pistol competition worthy and maybe so guns to check out.
Thanks a lot
What competition are you considering getting involved in? I shoot
Speed Steel, USPSA, and GSSF. I can do all three with one gun.

I dont's shoot all three with one gun---I'm classified in all 6 USPSA
divisions, and you can't do that with one gun!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #6

I'm not sure on that. What all kinds are there? Would a xdm be a good place to start since it has a match grade barrel and is pretty accurate, I love that gun so it might be a win win for me?

Springfield XD 45acp
Taurus PT-25

Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

As has been said, depends on what competition you'll be doing. We can only do IPSC here, and for the Production category (pretty much as it comes out of the factory, no serious tweaking) the XDm would be a good start (suggesting that as you didn't mention your level of experience either. I have less than 6 months personally lol)

I'd love to get one, but anything less than a 5" barrel is illegal in Aus

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Ruger's a great gun (I own the Competition model you're looking at, and love it), and will hold it's own in hyper-accurate .22 competitions, but the S&W Model 41 is apparently the gold standard for .22's at the present time. A couple of guys at my local range shoot with them, and their target sheets consist of pretty much one ragged hole.

For IDPA, the most likely division for a newbie is Stock Service Pistol, which requires an "off-the-shelf" semi-auto pistol, 9mm or larger. The Glock 17 is a popular choice. Two of the up-and-comers, though, are the Springfield XDm and Smith & Wesson M&P. I own an M&P9 Pro series, and my brother owns the XDm 9mm, and they're both fantastic guns - beautifully accurate and a pleasure to shoot. But, try all three: all the recommendations in the world don't matter compared to how well a given gun works for you.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 01-18-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #9

Mrbluesky

I have to agree with you on the XDm Tacktical in 40, but it was a little too high in price for my budget. Question, doesn't the XD put you in ESP class because it's SA only??

Jim

Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Mrbluesky

I have to agree with you on the XDm Tacktical in 40, but it was a little too high in price for my budget. Question, doesn't the XD put you in ESP class because it's SA only??

Jim
The striker-fired pistols (Glock, XD, M&P, most modern polymer-framed pistols) fall into the SSP category. I haven't actually gotten the chance to shoot in competition, yet, but several people in this thread use the M&P for SSP, and the XD action works the same way.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Tags
ruger mark iii