Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Clay pigeons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Default Clay pigeons

So I been shooting clays for a lil while now and I wanna see how good I really am and I was wondering if any of y'all knew how to get started in competitions for trap shooting in NC

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If you are near the triangle Durham Wildlife Club has a bunch of events (maybe a few trap). For sporting clays Rose Hill in Nashville (near Rocky Mount) is a must visit. Larry Corbett is the reigning US senior (over 60) champ. They go somewhere to compete every few weeks. Deep river near Sanford is another place to meet sporting clay competitors. Deep River is a beautiful place to shoot. You will find me in Nashville after deer season. I don't know of any trap events. Skeet and trap have both been relegated to practice for sporting clays.

Think of sporting clays like golf with a shotgun. Trap is the driving range. Skeet is putting practice. Sporting clays are a day on the course.

You might find something near you here: http://www.nctrap.com/

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-14-2012 at 10:45 PM.
tonydewar Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Excellent analogy ! Will have to travel for sporting clays - very challenging since the lead changes at every station - some cases - every shot.

Extended chokes make life easier and choosing the right choke can make all the difference in the world.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 AM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

most clay corses can be shot with ic or light mod chokes i rarely go swaping.find a local club with shotgun games and talk to people let them know you dont know crap most of them will try to learn ya way more than you can asorbe at once.ignore the "club champs"most of them wont give ya the time of day find a few you click with then shoot often and alot. the most important thing is HAVE FUN your scores will improve and it becomes more fun

Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 563 Times on 443 Posts

as suggested, contact nctrap.com
look into the ata requirements next.
mortgage your home and prepare to be poor from then on!

Retired Naval Aviation
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
PM for Details
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1015 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
as suggested, contact nctrap.com
look into the ata requirements next.
mortgage your home and prepare to be poor from then on!
Bobski is telling the truth. Once you get hooked you will let people pay their debts by loading shells for you. Been there done that with skeet...

Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 563 Times on 443 Posts

just a reminder to you guys that notdku approved the first ever ftf shotgun shoot and hoot at my place in mar. come read up and if you need a reason to get out of the house after a long winter......come join us!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/1st-annual-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-march-9-13-a-77711/

Retired Naval Aviation
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
PM for Details
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/