Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Cheap and easy competition to get into

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Both those vids are great. I like that new XD.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The range near me is open for anyone but NRA members get better parking Plus always good to support gun groups, to keep our 2nd ammendment safe. My 8 year old daughter just got done with a NRA Youth camp and loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
The club may be affiliated with the NRA, so their trying to get more business. I have heard of a few gun ranges allowing only NRA members to use their facilities.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1751 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Just started in IDPA. Shot first match on Sunday. Score was nothing great, but the fun shoot was well worth it. I shot the match with my XDm 9mm Compact and all the stock gear that came with it, holster, mag holder, and magazines.

The intent of IDPA is to allow shooters to compare their skill level without distorting the comparison with super gear. You should shoot what you carry (if you can carry) or what you keep around the house for defense.

My plan is to use the IDPA matches as just practice doing things I can't do at my normal indoor range. Rapid fire, movement, target transitions, etc. I expect to get better as I go, but I'm just competing with my last score.

I can say one thing about IDPA, at least the club I've gotten into: They have zero SNOBS (Shooters with No Observable Basic Social skills). Everybody is willing to help without being condescending.

If you're still looking for a place to try, I'd recommend IDPA. Lots of clubs across the country. Not a lot of cost to join. The matches only cost you a range fee and your ammo that you bring with you. Same as a day at the range, but they set up a LOT more interesting targets!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 10-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20909 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Aaron, if you like shooting shotguns, then check out sporting clays. i did it informally years ago and it was the most fun i ever had with a shotgun. not for sure what it costs to do it now, but use to it was relatively cheap shooting. lots of beginners even used pump shotguns instead of O/U's to start off with. just something to check out.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #15

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Which ever one you choose get ready to meet some life long friends.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #16

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would try IDPA before spending a bunch of money. A local EMS tech placed in several IDPA events with a Hi Point C-9. She did get a competition quality pistol after she got hooked on IDPA. To just try out a few events any accurate semi-auto will do the trick. The IDPA people just want to have fun.

Our fire department is considering hosting IDPA at the "police range" after deer season. I say police range loosely because anyone can shoot there on Saturday. We only have a volunteer fire department. They are creative fund raisers. I don't have a snowballs chance of winning an IDPA event but I will shoot just to donate a few dollars to the fire department.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Balota Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Awesome! It would be around a year before I could do IDPA though. I don't turn 21 until next August. When I do get into it, what would you recommend I go with? I plan on using a High Standard 45 acp 1911 for my CCW. Would that be good, or would a gun with a higher capacity, and less recoil like a 9mm be better? Is it more of a personal preference?
The local clubs here in Georgia would let you shoot a match at 20. If you are 18 or over you sign the waiver and shoot, if under 18 your parent must sign the waiver and stay with you for the match. You can't legally carry the gun outside the match so you have to travel with it unloaded and cased. Check with your local clubs about local policies, but I'll bet you can shoot. IDPA will probably be the cheapest and easiest shooting sport to get into.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.