can I get some help?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > can I get some help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey, I'm 17 and from Illinois and I would love to get into action pistol. Does anyone have any advice on a Good place to start? I have access to a S&W M&P 40, Glock 17 and a kimber custom II .45 . Which one should I train with also? I'm no stranger to a firearm but I have no experience with this kind of shooting.

Last edited by were153; 10-31-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can check out these folks International Defensive Pistol Association

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

What exactly do you want to do? I'd recommend IDPA myself, but first things first:

You have to have a gun. Not knowing where your from, you need to check the local laws. In my state the law allows all ages to transport or carry a firearm to a legitimate sporting event. So you'd be in the clear at 17.

You have to have a gun, that you can shoot. Take some classes and get some training. Be ready to invest some money into ammo.

Before you can have a gun, you need to find the one you want. Go to a range that rents handguns and try as many as you can. Look for comfort and pointability. If you have those 2, accuracy should fall right into place with practice, unless the gun's just total crap.

Really though, we need more info on what you want to do.

BTW, welcome to FTF! Hope you enjoy your stay, and stop by the Intro section so we can give you a proper welcome.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 AM   #4

G17 is a perfect pistol to start with in the production class. I started with one and now use a G34 still in production class. What I would suggest is find a local club go watch a match talk to some shooters. Also look for a new shooter clinic. Great start point! Enjoy your sport

Old 10-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #5

IDPA sounds great! That's what I'm looking for. As for a gun I'm extremely proficient with the three I listed above. I'm very comfortable with handling them. I feel like IDPA will help me in the future because I want to become a police officer.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Hint: It takes more than being proficient with a firearm to make a good policeman.
Also, competition shooting teaches one way, law enforcement firearms training teaches another.

Oh, Welcome to the forum

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #7

I know, being a police officer is tough work. I'm part of the police Explorer program and I'm getting to see how hard it is. And I understand that IDPA is diffrent than the training I would get at the academy. But it can't hurt. And the main reason I want to compete is because it looks like a world of fun!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Well, your first hurdle is that you are from Illinois. In that state you have a thing called a Firearm Owner's ID Card- without it, understand you cannot possess a firearm. Will defer to some of our members from the Land of Lincoln on your legalities at 17. How about it, folks?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Know nothing about all the Illinois laws.

I'll say this OP, the biggest problem I had with LE work is that I just couldn't stand to have to pull someone over and write a ticket

Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

+1 on what C3shooter said.

In Florida:
You have to be 18 to legally "possess" a handgun (21 to buy a handgun or ammunition for a handgun). You can shoot a handgun under adult supervision, however, so I see teenage competitors at matches.

I also see matches on TV that include competitors much younger than you, so it must be legal in a number of states. But check your own laws.

The guns you mentioned are all excellent. I would point out that it will be cheaper to train with the Glock because 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 and .45.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs