Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   breathing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/breathing-3776/)

gnoll 03-20-2008 11:14 PM

breathing

have studied and taught many classes in shooting
many ppl have many stiles so my question is how do you breath when you shoot
sounds dumb but trust my proper breathing helps

longshot 03-21-2008 05:05 AM

Everyone seems to have a different method. The main goal is to control the heart rate. Try breathing in for a count of 2 holding for a count of 2 then releasing for a count of 2. Repeating this several times should help control the heart rate. When the target has been acquired breathe in for a count of 2 begin to slowly exhale and pull the trigger.

fapprez 03-21-2008 12:32 PM

I only pay attention to my breathing when shooting long guns at the range or when hunting. If I'm shooting my pistols, I let my breathing go and actually try to get my heart rate up a bit before firing. I do this because I have the pistol for home protection and I'm sure I'll be anything but calm while walking through my dark house, gun in hand.

matt g 03-21-2008 01:07 PM

Inhale, front sight, squeeze, exhale.

There is a natural pause that occurs at 2/3 inhalation, I was taught to use that natural pause to hold at. I that time inhaling to find my front sight and lock my eye on it. Once that happens, I squeeze the trigger.

If you need to get shots off more quickly, you can use 1/2 way through the inhalation, at the top of the inhalation and half way through exhalation to squeeze the trigger.

Bolosniper 03-23-2008 01:28 PM

What we were taught during sniper school was to take a number of deep breaths, and on the last one, blow out half, and hold it for no more than 8 seconds, and then repeat until you send the shot away.

After almost 40 years of shooting, my technique is a little altered in that I'm slowly, and in a controlled fashion, exhaling while taking up the trigger. It works for me.

I think that the biggest issue is to keep the brain as oxygenated as possible to help maintain focus (eyes) and clarity (thought processes and motor skills).

RePete 03-24-2008 10:56 AM

2 or 3 deep breaths and on the final exhale squeeze trigger half way through the exhalation. I don't hold my breath because the heart rate will start to climb.

Old_Brewer 04-17-2008 04:24 PM

I was taught "BRASS". Breathe, Relax, Aim, Slack (as in take up), Squeeze.
I also like to blink a few times to moisturize my eyes & help the focus, my eyes are not getting any younger. :)

gnoll 04-27-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Brewer (Post 21948)
I was taught "BRASS". Breathe, Relax, Aim, Slack (as in take up), Squeeze.
I also like to blink a few times to moisturize my eyes & help the focus, my eyes are not getting any younger. :)

well try only having 1 eye lol
ok BRASS i like that one i will through that in with my next class and see how it works but it might be hard to break the ppl from there own breathing

RL357Mag 04-30-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnoll (Post 19613)
have studied and taught many classes in shooting
many ppl have many stiles so my question is how do you breath when you shoot
sounds dumb but trust my proper breathing helps

I recently bought two AR's - a RRA in .223 and a DPMS in .308 - both very accurate, although the DPMS has a long and gritty trigger compared to the RRA 2-stage match trigger, and both have high magnification scopes due to my failing ability to focus on iron sights anymore (peep sights still work for me, but not at extreme ranges anymore) - I find that using an intermediate magnification setting (8-10x) helps me achieve better accuracy. If I use the max setting (32x) I can't hold steady enough no matter how I breath. I'm trying to find the best combination of powder/ bullet weight/bullet design so I'm tempted to buy a Caldwell Lead Sled to test my rifle/handload accuracy. Once I know the gun is deadly accurate I can sleep well...even if I know I'm not...If I could just stop breathing I'm sure my accuracy would improve - my health wouldn't, but my accuracy might!