Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Benchrest shooters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/benchrest-shooters-34703/)

Badshot320 11-24-2010 03:26 AM

Benchrest shooters

Im new to this forum and was just wondering if there was many IBS shooters here? I havent shot in a match myself in 10 years but my father still shoots whenever he can. Just want a holler out from my Benchrest shooter friends.

bgeddes 12-04-2010 04:46 AM

How did I miss this?

Hell yea I shoot with the IBS. Mostly the PA stuff. Next year maybe the Bud in MD. It is kind of a small group, and they all seem to know each other. My father-in-law shot for 40 years and was a gun builder and National champ.

Badshot320 12-14-2010 05:14 AM

When you shoot the Bud tell Carl Baker hes a fluke!~ Then shake his hand and hope some of his Mo Jo rubs off on ya.

Squirrel_Slayer 12-14-2010 03:38 PM

Do either of you guys know whether or not the AR class ever tok off and there are people still shooting in that class? I have been wanting to shoot in a benchrest comp. but have had something of a hard time finding one in my area and with a class I can shooot my rifle in. Thanks.

bgeddes 12-14-2010 10:53 PM

S_S,

It just so happens I shoot the AR class. As for it's longevity, not sure. Our annual meeting where people bitch and cry about rules they want changed to their favor is in January. The fate of the AR class is probably going to be decided that day. It's a big deal for me as I am either going to have my upper rebarreled to a real BR round, or buy a Hunter class gun.

I'd like to see them let the AR class go another year, especially if they get rid of the goofy muzzle device rule.

The IBS is trying to get new shooters. The AR class was met with a lot of resistance. It seems some shooters thought it would be tacticool mall-ninjas invading the range. That has not been the case. I am going to encourage the rules committee to drop the 'no muzzle device' and make it a 'no muzzle brakes'. They seemed to think the people running the shoot would not be able to determine the difference. With the talent and experience of the BR crowd, telling difference should not be too challenging.

For anyone else interested in trying an IBS match, you are welcome to bring your factory gun. There is a class specifically for them. No aftermarket barrels, no gun weight restriction, no caliber rules. Many of the people that shoot a factory gun do a damn good job shooting. Some get hooked and blow their retirement on shooting crap.

Squirrel_Slayer 12-14-2010 10:57 PM

I have a 24" bull barrelled varminting gun that I would like to shoot in a competition with, but since it's pushing the 15 pound range, it's a bench rest gun only. No flash hider, no muzzle brake. Which class would that fit into if any? It's a .223 as well, and a heavy bullet at that, so I have been shooting out to 500 yards with it recently.

bgeddes 12-14-2010 11:10 PM

You should find some local shooters. More than likely they will get you into a fair class. The competition is not so much with each other as it is with yourself. A few shooters will be smoking good and shooting 20+ Xs, and competing for the top. For me it is as much to shoot consistently well versus winning (which I do all the time as the only AR there).

Squirrel_Slayer 12-14-2010 11:14 PM

I wwill inquire with the guys at the range next time the weather is a little sunnier and I can get out there. Thank you for the info.

Badshot320 12-15-2010 03:28 AM

15 pounds? Wow thats a heavy .223. You couldnt shoot a hunter class but possibly a factory rebarreled class. Hunter class requires a 6X scope and a case capacity equal to or higher than a 30-30. You couldnt set a record but you could win bragging rights! :) The benchrest guys are a strange bunch but are always more then willing to give you pointers wether youll listen or not.

Squirrel_Slayer 12-15-2010 06:02 PM

OK, I exaggerated, 13 pounds with the smaller 6-24 x 40 Bushnell that I have on there now, but sooner or later it will be getting a 6-24 x 56 Millet, and that should up the weight close to 15 pounds. There has to be some class that I can shoot that rifle in.