Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Bench Rest shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Bench Rest shooting

I recently learned that there are bench rest competitions going on all over the US every weekend. My question is, What qualities in a rifle scope does a person need to compete in one of these events?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

check out NBRSA or IBS.

Welcome to the NBRSA Online! | National Benchrest Shooters Association

International Benchrest Shooters

www.6mmbr.com

All have factory classes where you are allowed limited modifications to a rifle.

Not exactly sure what your question is. Are you asking about a rifle or a scope or both.

If you are wanting a full custom bench rest gun expect to pay at least $3k for the rifle alone. Then another $1500 to $3000 for a scope.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #3

Default thank you

It was a very general question, thanks for defining the acronym, I didn't know what they referred too.
I think I am more interested in factory rifle and wringing out the most from it.
I have a couple of .308's plus a couple of AR's I really enjoy hunting and shooting with that are very accureate. Undoubtedly our idea's of accuracy will be different. Anyway I think I would like to go to one and talk to some of the particpants. What are the optics needs for these competitions? It probably makes a difference on the distance right?
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #4

Yes many of the 100 and 200 yard shooters will use a straight 36 or higher power scope. Many scopes on the line even in factory class are still $900+ Does that mean you have to be sporting a Nightforce on a factory gun.

I think you can get away with a nice Nikon 6-24x50mm or a Bushnell elite 4200 8-32x40mm.

I would find a local benchrest match in your area and go a few times talk to the guys shooting and see what they are saying about it.

Accuracy is like speed it is expensive.

The dominate cartridges in benchrest are the 6mmbr and the 6mm ppc. They both has a little brother as well in 22 cal.

Also your rest is going to be very important with them running from $600 up to and over $2k. Then you need to figure out how you want to shoot regular or free recoil.

Sinclair Search : Rests, Bipods & Bags : Shooting Rests & Tops -

Free recoil is where you only touch the gun with the trigger finger and lightly with that hand. You pull the trigger and allow the gun to recoil into your shoulder. Many if now all of the short range bench rest guys shoot like this.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

Default ?

What makes the rest so expensive? Is that one of the scissor jack looking devices?
I guess showing up and touching some off with hunting gear isn't going to work. You have peakedmy curiosity though, thank you for the information.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #6

It has been a lot of years since I was in the benchrest game. I'm sure things are the same in that if you show up at a match you will find folks very helpful. You will find to be competitive it is going to be very expensive to get in the game. Sinclair is who I would go to for loading and shooting equipment. This is a game where you can take no short cuts if you want to win even at local matches. Showing up with a hunting rifle or even a factory varmint rifle will be a humbling experience. Go ask a lot of questions first, it will save you hundreds of dollars in mistakes.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #7

Default lol

I'm thinking maybe I am more of a spectator then a shooter.....
I do appreciate those that do what it takes to be great. Sadly I don't think it's me. I'm checking out a local club here in N. Tx that holds shoots, some for club memebers only. When I saw pics of some guys loading next to the bench I started to querstion my desire.....
Appreciate all the info., Maybe I am just destined to be a .5 MOA shooter at best.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #8

The big wide leg bipod is for shooting F-Class Prone Supported at 800 900 and 1000 yards. Lots of fun and Savage makes a good 2 good starter rifles for around $1k.

the rests are so expensive because there is a ton of machine work in them and they have to be precise. precision is the name of the game in benchrest shooting.

go to a match and watch. Then start talking to the guys shooting. many times they will allow a new shooter to try their rig at a match if you pay them for ammo. I know a few guys that do that here at the Quantico F-Class match.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:05 AM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

I still shoot competitive BR using the old Wichita rest I bought in 1978. I can still shoot competitive scores
I use Weaver 36x scopes, just as do a fair number of competitors on the line. Under 400 dollars. One of my rifles is based on an old 40x action and the total parts cost on this one is about 1000 dollars. The other one is on a Hall action and cost a bit more but doesn't shoot any better.
So, you can shoot competitively for a lot less than many would have you believe. GD

Old 08-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #10

Default thnx

Thanks Greydog, I was starting to think it was way out of my price range. Just what I need, one more hobby that costs big bucks. I am in awe of those that can shoot these long range comps.
I am happy as all get out to air out my AR and Nikon M-223 scope to 600 yards and ping an 8 inch metal target. It is hard for me to imagine shooting past that
with the accuracy those shooters expect and demand from their rigs. I would think a puff of wind could ruin their day?