Beginning Pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Beginning Pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beginning Pistol

Hello I am looking into competition pistol shooting. Ive cruised around this section of the forums for a while. However I have no clue as to which pistol to start with. I have large hands if that helps. I just want to make shure I don't get my hands on it and regret dropping the cash on it. Any recommendations will help me. Much Appreciated! Budget is up to $1000 dollars. However I would like to keep it under if possible.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

What kind of competitive shooting do you wish to participate in? Go to a match and see what guns, models, options, calibers, etc. they use. A good choice for Bullseye shooting would probably not be the best choice for IDPA or IPSC, Steel match, etc.

Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Glock, Beretta, CZ, Para-Ordinance, H&K, S.I.G., Browning, Colt, Ruger, Dan Wesson, all make good guns that can be used in competition and all are in your price range, from 9mm to .45 and 1911's.

Through trial and error you will need to fit the handgun to you, it's comfort and fit in your hand, balance and ease of point, ergonomics should all be natural. The more you try and preferably, get a chance to shoot, the better chances you will discover the right handgun fit for you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
What kind of competitive shooting do you wish to participate in? Go to a match and see what guns, models, options, calibers, etc. they use. A good choice for Bullseye shooting would probably not be the best choice for IDPA or IPSC, Steel match, etc.

Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Glock, Beretta, CZ, Para-Ordinance, H&K, S.I.G., Browning, Colt, Ruger, Dan Wesson, all make good guns that can be used in competition and all are in your price range, from 9mm to .45 and 1911's.

Through trial and error you will need to fit the handgun to you, it's comfort and fit in your hand, balance and ease of point, ergonomics should all be natural. The more you try and preferably, get a chance to shoot, the better chances you will discover the right handgun fit for you.
Wow, that about covers it
Great post

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah what they said, Only thing i think i can add is that i know glock,and the p4 storm offer adjustable backstraps. i also think the xd does as well. But it really depends on what kind of match your shooting on what kind of gun you get

Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You'll also want to look at the rules for whatever type of competition you want to do. There are limitations on what you can use, and there are categories that certain types of guns compete in.

You will also find that some guns can be used in more than one kind of competition, if that appeals to you.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #6

Thank you very much for the answers. H&K USP .40 at the local shop. I loved the balance and the fit and finish but the grip was'nt really tickling my fancy. I would love an 1911 but I would rather have a pistol with a double stack magazine. Mostly for convenience. However I am always open to new things and love advice. Any pistols along the same lines of th H&K but with Interchangeable Grips. I understand that the 1911's offer this but I would like to See what else there is.

Last edited by Scoobydoo51; 04-20-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The FNP has a changeable back strap to change the way it feels. SA/DA ambi safety double-stack mag. Can't go wrong wit ha Sig Sauer . They have literally tons of designs and a well proven track record. I'm personally a 191 fiend and don't venture away often. But keep your options open. Understand the rules for whatever you're wanting to get into then check out as many different types of weapon you can get your hands on. Find the one that fits your hands best and the rest will fall into place.

A simple truth is you put ten decent shooters in a room and you will get at least seven different types of weapon with a plethora of reasons why it's best. And every one of those might not be a good fit for you. All thew big makers make a quality weapon that will get the job done but they all have little things different. So you really need to get out there and handle as many as possible. Or be really wealthy and just buy a lot of them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2881 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

What competition are you looking to get into? Or is this a beginning pistol (like "hey, for my first handgun...."?)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #9

Thank you all very much for the help I will be at the shop soon to examine some more.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Para Ordnance makes double-stack 1911s that are within your budget (though not by a whole lot).

Do your research on 1911s, especially if you're going to use it for competition. If you get a basic 1911 with GI-style sights, you won't be able to upgrade to Novak-style sights without getting the slide remilled. If you're thinking of shooting IDPA, they don't allow bushingless bull barrels (as I understand it).

I'm not trying to be a naysayer. I just wanted to point out that there are a lot of variations in the 1911 world, and if you want to shoot competitions, make sure the gun you pick will work.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs