barrel temperature - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting >

barrel temperature

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the only proper way i know to cool down a hot barrel on a rifle is time.

my general rule of thumb on barrel temperature, is if i can't grab ahold of the barrel and hold it, then it's too hot and needs to cool down.

i generally shoot five shot strings, then let the rifle cool down about 5-10 minutes, depending on outside ambient temperature. on a really hot summer day, about 95-100 degrees, i may even go longer between shot strings.

as general rule, sporter barrels can be every bit as accurate as a heavy varmint barrel, but they will heat up much quicker and possibly throw accuracy off. heavy barrels, can usually go more shots before heating up and accuracy degrades.
People Like This 
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the only proper way i know to cool down a hot barrel on a rifle is time.

my general rule of thumb on barrel temperature, is if i can't grab ahold of the barrel and hold it, then it's too hot and needs to cool down.

i generally shoot five shot strings, then let the rifle cool down about 5-10 minutes, depending on outside ambient temperature. on a really hot summer day, about 95-100 degrees, i may even go longer between shot strings.

as general rule, sporter barrels can be every bit as accurate as a heavy varmint barrel, but they will heat up much quicker and possibly throw accuracy off. heavy barrels, can usually go more shots before heating up and accuracy degrades.
Yep............
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #13

Liked 2503 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 577

It would be useful to know what type of shooting you are talking about, what kind of accuracy is required, what kind of rifle and barrel we are talking about as well.

Barrels are a lot like people. There are different categories and in each category are individuals and they all have some differences.

Competition shooters who are concerned about heat will usually buy the highest quality barrel they can get. Those barrels have things done to minimize heating effects. Rifling methods that minimize causing stresses on the barrel that would cause it to expand and contract unevenly as it warms and cools. Stress relieving the barrel, cryo treating, free floating and concentric boring are all methods to minimize vibration variations in barrels. High quality barrels in both heavy and light profiles will exhibit better consistency.

In a cheaper barrel heavy profiles help as they add rigidity and slow temperature change. A barrel heats slower, but it also cools slower once hot. Some barrels get fluted to increase surface area to cool them faster.

Strategies: shooters will use is to open the action between strings and let air flow through the barrel. I wouldn't hit a hot barrel with cold liquid.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-24-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #14

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

No one who knows steel or rifle barrels would ever use water or ice to cool a match rifle. This can and will cause "Flash" rust and throat erosion. No legitimate rifle match allows this sort of idiocy any way.
The rifle is not shot in such a manner to raise the barrel temperature above its stable point. The Rifleman knows his rifle and times his shots to allow the barrel to remain static. Any experienced rifleman knows the effect of lineal expansion on his personal rifle.
People Like This 
Old 11-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4626 Times on 3124 Posts
Likes Given: 2340

A boresnake sprayed with a cleaner cools the barrel while cleaning it.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #16

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The point is, you do not over heat the barrel. If you are shooting groups and allowing the barrel to get hot you are wasting ammo. Know your rifle and time your shots properly.
People Like This