ballistics calcs. and other

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > ballistics calcs. and other

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ballistics calcs. and other

I downloaded 2 ballistics calculators on my Ipod and they do seem right for the most part both free apps one is a simple app ask for muzzle velocity, bullet weight, ballistic coeficient, sight height, zero range, wind speed, and wind angle
I need help figuring out what the sight heaight means and wind angle, plus what is bullet coeficient?
I plan to do some fun 22lr shooting and would like to use the app for it to hit long range shots and have fun and one day move up in cal.
the other app is pretty much the same its from winchester co. so you basickly choose the winchester cartrige your shooting and just input wind speed zero sight in and stuff then it just shows were the bullet will hit on the target and also the trajectory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #2

Wind angle could be 0 degrees if wind is coming straight from behind, and 180 degrees if it's coming straight from the front. It could also be the other way around :P

The bullet coefficient is probably the 'ballistic coefficent'. It's probably specified to bullets, using the g1 model.
Here's a list of commercial BC's: www.frfrogspad.com/g1bclist.xls
Here's a list of militairy BC's: www.frfrogspad.com/g7bclist.xls

The commercial one uses the g1 model, which is old. But since your apps are coming from weapons manufacturers it's likely they use the G1 model.
With a higher BC, a bullet will lose less velocity. The manufacturers use this old G1 model so they can tell people their bullets are awsome, which they are not. In the commercial list there are bullets which have a BC of higher than 1.0. This means you're actually firing a laser canon.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i'm not 100% sure, but sight height is about 1.5" on a scope is usually used in most ballistics tables for ammo.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Sight height is going to work with zero range. The sights, especially a scope, sit at some distance above the bore. That distance varies from gun to gun and from one type of sight/scope to another. Once zeroed, the sight and bore aren't exactly parallel. There's a slight angle so that the line of sight through the scope and the point of impact meet at that range.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs