Anybody heard of cowboy shoots? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Anybody heard of cowboy shoots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, in Wild Bunch the 1911 must be .45 caliber. Rules require a five inch bbl, so no Commander length or whatever.

If you shoot in the Traditional class the pistol has to be a GI type and you shoot one handed. The standard Remington R1 is an example of a current offering that is compliant. Stainless finish is OK.

The Modern class allows some upgrades such as adjustable sights and a beaver tail grip safety but some features like fiber optic sights and flared magwells are not allowed. You can shoot with both paws in Modern.

In either class you need magazines without extended basepads. Holsters are leather or other natural materials such as canvas.

The legal pump shotguns are the Winchester 1897 pump (original or reproduction), 93/97 reproduction, or a Winchester Model 12.

If you want to give it a try, don't let your lack of guns hold you back. Show up with what you have. Bring that Mossy! I bet they will either let you run it for your first couple of matches or someone will lend you a gun or two or even three.

As in cowboy we shoot steel targets and ammo must have all lead bullets. No jacketed, plated or gaschecked.

Gotta go hit the old loading bench; cowboy match next Sunday and Wild Bunch the following weekend.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #32

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I attended a "Cowboy" match. They would not allow me to use the magazine on my Mdl. 97 Winchester. The rules on loading and unloading etc, seem oriented to very amateur gun owners. They should have a class for experienced gun handlers.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6614 Times on 3513 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I attended a "Cowboy" match. They would not allow me to use the magazine on my Mdl. 97 Winchester. The rules on loading and unloading etc, seem oriented to very amateur gun owners. They should have a class for experienced gun handlers.
different clubs have different variations on the rules. there is no SASS rule that says you cant use the mag. you will find minor variations whereever you go.

the club i shoot with has rules saying you cant pick up dropped shells while your event is going no guns in the porta potty stuff like that. they also dq ya for going to the line with a live round in the chamber or under the hammer. lots of it is oriented around safety.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent