Anybody heard of cowboy shoots? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Anybody heard of cowboy shoots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I'm a new member here; I'm in my fourth year shooting cowboy action. My wife joined in last year. It's a great couples and family sport and it's a great group of folks; lots of cameraderie in cowboy shooting.

I've seen some of the most skilled shooters in this sport than I've seen anywhere. We have a mix of folks; some are very competitive, some are less concerned about score. Everyone is mixed up together and there's room for everyone.

We wear Western clothes and everyone has an "alias" but it's not "historical re-enactment". Some folks are really into the costuming; some are not so much. The minimum costume requirements are really pretty easy to meet.

We don't require that people acquire all the hardware before starting out. Many clubs offer "new shooter clinics" where they outfit you with everything you need to try it out. We often lend guns to people who are just starting out. It took me a full year to assemble all my guns and gear; people loaned me what I didn't have. When I tried to thank them or pay them back they always said, "you can help the next new shooter who comes along".

Old 06-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3154 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFrog
I'm a new member here; I'm in my fourth year shooting cowboy action. My wife joined in last year. It's a great couples and family sport and it's a great group of folks; lots of cameraderie in cowboy shooting.

I've seen some of the most skilled shooters in this sport than I've seen anywhere. We have a mix of folks; some are very competitive, some are less concerned about score. Everyone is mixed up together and there's room for everyone.

We wear Western clothes and everyone has an "alias" but it's not "historical re-enactment". Some folks are really into the costuming; some are not so much. The minimum costume requirements are really pretty easy to meet.

We don't require that people acquire all the hardware before starting out. Many clubs offer "new shooter clinics" where they outfit you with everything you need to try it out. We often lend guns to people who are just starting out. It took me a full year to assemble all my guns and gear; people loaned me what I didn't have. When I tried to thank them or pay them back they always said, "you can help the next new shooter who comes along".
Yes we have! I'd love to attend one to watch(does everyone also "Ride"?) but my wife is very interested and we'd Prob both try it out if no riding was involved.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #23

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

I gata say the more I read and look into it the more I want in. My kinda people. I found a club about an hours drive gana try and visit some this sumer with the kids.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Yes we have! I'd love to attend one to watch(does everyone also "Ride"?) but my wife is very interested and we'd Prob both try it out if no riding was involved.
You dont need a horse although there is a mounted version if your into that. There is also a version called wild bunch that uses pump shotguns and 1911's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
I gata say the more I read and look into it the more I want in. My kinda people. I found a club about an hours drive gana try and visit some this sumer with the kids.

I highly recomend it. I just started into it this year and having a great time. Its like 3gun but without all the mall ninja types.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

racer_x Likes This 
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #25

Quote:
(does everyone also "Ride"?)...we'd Prob both try it out if no riding was involved.
I assume you're talking about riding horses?

What I'm referring to is "cowboy action shooting", or what the mounted shooters tend to call "ground shooting". No horse. We shoot steel targets with lead bullets. Every match (usually each stage of every match) employs two revolvers, a rifle and shotgun. The biggest organization is SASS (single action shooting society).

The other sport is "mounted cowboy shooting" where the shooter uses blank-loaded revolvers to break balloons from horseback. The biggest organization is CMSA (cowboy mounted shooting ass'n), although SASS has a mounted division. If I am not mistaken CMSA events are revolver-only while SASS mounted uses all three guns, at least some of the time.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyFrog

I assume you're talking about riding horses?

What I'm referring to is "cowboy action shooting", or what the mounted shooters tend to call "ground shooting". No horse. We shoot steel targets with lead bullets. Every match (usually each stage of every match) employs two revolvers, a rifle and shotgun. The biggest organization is SASS (single action shooting society).

The other sport is "mounted cowboy shooting" where the shooter uses blank-loaded revolvers to break balloons from horseback. The biggest organization is CMSA (cowboy mounted shooting ass'n), although SASS has a mounted division. If I am not mistaken CMSA events are revolver-only while SASS mounted uses all three guns, at least some of the time.
Many thanks! Yes i was referring to Riding Horses! What Rifles, Handguns and Shotguns are required? All single action Revolvers?

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

You will need 2 single action revolvers in 32cal to 45cal. Chamberings in 357 and 45colt are the most common. Ruger in my opinion make the best offering in the new vaquero as its ready to go right out of the box.

You will need a lever action rifle same caliber as your pistols but can can be different if you choose. Most people keep it the same for logistic reasons. The winchester 1873 in the form of the uberti 1873 is the gold standard. Others like the rossi 92 and marlins are also commonly used. But they must hold 10 rounds in the tube. I use a uberti 1873 45colt

Shotgun can be any design of double barrel side by side or pumps designed before 1900 or some lever action shotguns. Gages 12-20 are typical. Stoegers are the most common. I use a cz hammer coach in 12ga

Its pretty much any design pre1900.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

racer_x Likes This 
Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #28

Quote:
What Rifles, Handguns and Shotguns are required? All single action Revolvers?
In general we use guns of the types that were around before 1900.

The rifles are pistol caliber (.32 or larger) lever action or pump action, with exposed hammers. Popular choices are (reproductions of) Winchester 1873, 1866 or 1892s or Marlins.

Shotguns are 20 ga. or larger. You can use a side-by-side, a Winchester 1897 pump or 1887 lever action.

The revolvers are single action of at least .32 caliber (.38 is most popular, .45 Colt is second, with a smattering of other calibers like .44 Special, .44-40, and .38-40). The Ruger New Vaquero, Vaquero and Blackhawk are fine. Some shooters prefer the reproductions of the Colt SAA made by Uberti or Pietta.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #29

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
There is also a version called wild bunch that uses pump shotguns and 1911's.
That is one of the things I would like to get into. I shoot 1911 in IDPA. I would think this would be an easy transition. I need to get a period correct pump. I doubt my Mossy 500 would be welcome.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967

That is one of the things I would like to get into. I shoot 1911 in IDPA. I would think this would be an easy transition. I need to get a period correct pump. I doubt my Mossy 500 would be welcome.
Thanks to you both for your answers! Jon: the Wild Bunch 1911's need to be in .45? Rick: i also shot in competitions when in the reserves for our base's Shooting team...Don't have any pump guns that old either!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.