Anybody heard of cowboy shoots? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Anybody heard of cowboy shoots?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 463 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Yes its popular here.

Quote:
Ballymena Rifle & Pistol ClubDisciplines
•Practical Pistol
•Mini Rifle
•PPC (WA 1500)
•Cowboy Action
•UK NRA pistol matches (PP1, PP2 etc.)
•UIT
•Target, Sporting and Benchrest rifle

Last edited by manta; 05-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #12

I think it's pretty hoakey. A bunch of adults playing cowboys. I don't get it; but whatever floats your boat as they say. I say, if you like that sort of thing, then have at it.
ct

Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I think it's pretty hoakey. A bunch of adults playing cowboys. I don't get it; but whatever floats your boat as they say. I say, if you like that sort of thing, then have at it.
ct
That's EXACTLY it! The participants are dressing up and having fun and it is one of the few shooting sports where score is not king. Participants are graded on shooting, but also costume and how they portray their character. There are side events like derringer shooting that are fun for the weird little guns. If you don't want to spend $10,000 on a specialized gun and twice that on practice ammunition, this is a sport you can have real family fun with.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a group that calls itself "The Tombstone Shooting Society" They use live BP ammo, get all dressed up in the clothes that the Earps , John H. Holiday, Frank & Tom Mclaury & Billy Clanton wore at the October 26th, 1881 gunfight in Tombstone, Arizona, & commence to blow away! After the 2nd re-enactment, I heard there was no one left, so it's been discontinued until further notice. jd45

Last edited by jd45; 05-29-2013 at 01:57 AM. Reason: kidding, of course......like you couldn't guess

Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I want to get into it someday as well. I don't see it as hoakey. Think how many times you played "cowboys and Indians" as a kid! Nothing wrong with being a kid again sometimes. Especially with live ammo!

Always have clean socks.

racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #16

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Never participated in one, but that's not to say that I wouldn't. Sounds like fun -- as far as the costume part -- oh hell yes. No different than, say, weekend motorcycle riders dressing up as badass bikers at motorcycle events. As my wife used to say, "every day's a costume party".

Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #17

Liked 1907 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1261

I have been interested as well. I know a few competitors. I just don't own enough of the right kind of guns. I have a few, but not all of what is required.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Will try and keep this short..........

Got hooked up with a guy on this site.He introduced himself when I did a short note on the "intro page".....lindale,is his handle.

Anyway,he lives maybe 20 minutes or so from us.I contacted him via a "PM" and we set-up a meet at his place.He shoots fast draw competition....they shoot wax bullets out of Ruger's and a smattering of Colt SAA.Can't remember the distance?......but there's MOST deffinately a clock involved.

Spent maybe 2-3 hrs over at his indoor range.To say that I was impressed is an understatement.These boys are DANG fast.They draw at a random "buzzer",and the clock "stops" when the steel plate is struck.

I shoot/build traditional archery equipment.....NO sights.And can write a rather long/boring dissertation on "instinctive",aka...Zen shooting.This is where lindale and I got right down to business.Their kind,or style of shooting is from the hip and is truly instinctive......so much for a proper site picture,haha.It takes 3/10's of a second to make a conscious decision...or so I'm told.lindale and his ilk are blowing that number clear out of the water.If you literally blink,they've drawn and hit a steel plate.

Just sayin,it ain't all "dress-up".....

Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

txpossum,seeing as the Isle of Man is upon us,once again......couldn't let you go on the M/C thing.

We live on the BRP...and in general,some of the world's finest twisty's."Week end warriors" come in different flavors.They not only ride Harley's with fake tats.They also come in the "Power Ranger" outfits.Clean,high buck leathers.

Just sayin,be dang careful messin with homeboy "scratcher's".Sportbikes with missing or rashed bodywork,along with the ubiquitous rider's duc taped boots/leathers.Not that I'd know anything about that....haha.Cheers.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #20

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

There are guys that can shoot six steel targets with a single action revolver faster then anyone with a semi auto pistol. Sounds crazy but they use the left thumb to cock the hammer and the right finger to pull the trigger and hit six different steel targets. Nothing cornball about cowboy shoots. It is impressive when a couple of people step up and it sounds like one long bang not six separate bangs