Any suggestions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Any suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any suggestions?

I am really interested trying competition shooting, specifically long-distance. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of some ideal setups. Nothing crazy expensive. I already have a pretty nice leupold scope (6.5 20x56mm) that was passed to me. I just need a decent rifle to put it on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #2

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Nightstalker

You are really opening a can of worms with this post. Long range comps are a world of their own.

Check out this site on that topic:

AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy

These guys think 500 yards is SHORT DISTANCE.

Jim

Old 01-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the link Jim. That should help a lot. I'm still trying to make my mind up on what to get, so I guess I need to find out what I'll compete it right? haha. I've just outgrown my .308.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #4

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

If I could make a suggestion.

A inexpensive (not cheap) would be a Savage Model 10 GPX3 in .243. Around $600-700 and it uses a 6mm bullet (.243) and with lighter bullets 50 to 60 grain bullets you can get it up to 4000 fps. I use mine with a 105 grain A-Max and it can be used for deer hunting. Mine is primarlly used for varmint hunting.

The nice thing about the Savage is that you can swap barrels real easy with just a barrel wrench and a "go or no-go" gauge. So if you later decide you want a 6mmBR or 6mmPPC or a 257 or 260 or any of the other comp calibers it is a easy swap of the barrel only.

Just a suggestion.
Jim

Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #5

Good suggestion, Savage rifles shoot well. several have done well at longer range. One fellow had a great shooting 22-250 and use it to build a 6 br.
He never got the rifle to shoot as well as it did with the first barrel. He had a hummer barrel and lost it.
Some short range benchrest shooters had wanted to build guns on the old 12 action. I have a few of them and like the quality. Every barrel it has had shot very well.
Just make sure you load develop for the range you are shooting. The best load and bullet for 100 yards is not always the best for 600 or 1000 yards.
Best of luck.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you want to try it real cheap you can pick up an old military 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser with a good bore and start with it. There are still alot of guy starting that way. The reason they chose this rifle is because of the high BC bullets it shoots. Even though it is relitively slow compaired to some of the other rifle you will be competing against, the high BC bullets will cut down on the wind drift and the potential error it can cause.

Catfish
Ohio