Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Am I ready for competitive shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I may just have to save up some money, buy a holster, and go to a local bowling pin shoot to see how I do.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Here is my 2 cents on this. Competitive shooting is very different from just plinking on weekends. There is always the ability of the next guy who will shoot the same course with you and may be better than you. My advice is to practice with others, especially those with more experience than you, to overcome the fear of competition to the level where you will have fun doing it with others. Also, use a gun that you are comfortable with that will be allowed for your kind of competition.....and practice, applying the principles everytime.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #23

Practice and training....

Old 01-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

jump in with both feet and run with it you will catch on at first it will seem ac word but it gets easier each time you go and other shooters will help example-i shoot indoor 3p and i shoot with guys that have 2500 dollar anschuts rifles and years of experience i started 2yrs ago but i started out shooting 240s out of 300 know im shooting an average of 280 and up this year shoot with the best and you get better good luck and have fun

Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have competed several times. I found out that I am middle of the road when it comes to competition. I thought I was really somebody until I was up against other serious shooters. Don't worry about if you are good enough. Just be safe and have a good time. It is so much more fun than just going to the range. After you have done it a few times compete against yourself. Just try to beat your last score. That is what really matters. Well, next to being safe anyway.
This right here. Just go do it...seriously, the single hardest thing about competitive shooting is going your first time. So many have this vision that everybody that does shoot IDPA or USPSA are the most hard core and unforgiving shooters or competitors on the planet. Most sport shooters I know are some of the best, most helpful people on the planet. Nearly. I've seen people give ammo to a shooter than ran out, lend a gun to another and even give equipment away because they saw somebody else could you it more.

So, run dont walk to the nearest IDPA or USPSA match and just do it! Be safe and have fun.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #26

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Bowling pin shoots are a great place to start! When you can hit the top of the pin at 21 feet and transition, reload well, it is time to look upwards. Lots of trash talk at pin meets. Adds more pressure.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get out of your comfort zone and life gets a new glitter

Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #28

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdusmc
Get out of your comfort zone and life gets a new glitter
Good line, I'm going to remember that one.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #29

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

#1 you aren't ready. Which is the perfect reason to start.

I've seen dozens of guys show up "just to watch". Don't be that guy.

#2 standing on a range shooting paper for groups, means nothing. All that goes out the door when the buzzer goes off.

DO IT!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1315 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Clax, there are two ways to go about this, since everyone agrees you should do it!

If you are the consummate competitor, and don't like to lose, get an instructor and get some training before competing. This will be the best way to get insight on the rules, safety expectations and course design. You would be well prepared going in.

If you don't care where you place in the competition and like the human experience, just sign up, familiarize yourself with the rules and the flow of the course and go for it! This takes longer, but you will get to know the other competitors, teams, families and course officials. You will interact with everyone and enjoy the social aspects. Once you're signed up and going to various competitions, practice in-between and you will naturally improve. This course of action is more for the person that doesn't want to be in the Top 50 this year, has low funds or enjoys social interaction over competing. You can still be great, it'll just take more time.

Whichever way you choose to go, make a choice to look up the schedule of matches in your area RIGHT NOW so that you'll know the date and location they'll be in your area. Join the organization you wish to shoot in and get on their mailing list. The cost is usually very little and will keep you informed of their schedule. The contact is encouraging to keep you moving towards your goal! Small steps taken now will keep you focused on the target!

By all means, have fun! This is a great sport and will be an integral part of your life, if you let it in.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)