Am I ready for competitive shooting? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Am I ready for competitive shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Shooting Sports USA - August 2010

Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Look at USPSA/IPSC. You will likely find a welcoming crowd. I have only met one person at matches in Austin and Waco I would not invite to the hosue for dinner and I am a very private person. There must be 3-4 clubs in the Houston area (at the very least).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #13

Default USPSA Matches

here is some basic info for you .. First Match its from my area but they are all the same .. i recently started USPSA & CQB matches myself .. you will enjoy the hell out of it .. don't worry about the competition until your comfortable .. Safety, Accuracy and then speed will come .. its very addicting ..

here are few more links:
Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association
Locate USPSA Clubs - USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association

Stay Safe ..
SB

Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #14

First off what kind of competition do you want to start first? IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, SASS? Also what gun will you be using?

IDPA is geared to practical carry guns and gear, USPSA has divisions for any pistol.

I have been shooting competition for a while now and I love it. I am pretty good now, My classification just went up to "A" in USPSA Limited. I am an Oklahoma Police Officer for 14 years now, when I started competition shooting I thought since I am a LEO I would be good, but it didnt go that way. But with practice and the race gun that I built, I have become much better. Also it is not bullseye shooting, a Alpha is a Alpha, the sport is geared around speed. You want to go as fast as you can while still getting good hits.

People in the competition shooting sport, are great people. Nobody makes fun of you if you dont shoot very well. They are always willing to offer advice on how to improve, its all about having fun, unless it is a major match.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #15

Here's a 5-shot group of mine. Yes it's 5 not 4. My question is this: should I be more concentrated on speed? This group took about 3 seconds per shot. This was done at 21 feet with my Glock 17.

5shot.jpg  

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 06-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

That's not bad at all!

If you can consistently do that, bring that stray down and make a tighter grouping, while knocking some time off between each shot, your there!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well you will never know if you don't try. I my self have never done a competition, but if ever given the chance hell I would just go for it.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #18

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

comps are made up of many COMPETITERS, not just the winner

Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Just do it !! that's what I did this year, I have been in 3 USPSA matches this year, and the are fun and friendly. I compete in single stack with a STI Trojan 1911.

Live free or die

Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #20

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I have competed several times. I found out that I am middle of the road when it comes to competition. I thought I was really somebody until I was up against other serious shooters. Don't worry about if you are good enough. Just be safe and have a good time. It is so much more fun than just going to the range. After you have done it a few times compete against yourself. Just try to beat your last score. That is what really matters. Well, next to being safe anyway.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.