Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Am I ready for competitive shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Am I ready for competitive shooting?

I know that any shooting sport has some of the best sportsmen in it (meaning that even if I suck I will not be ridaculed) the shooters I have met aside from a very small few have been really supportive. That is the numberone reason I like the sport.

At 21 feet I land all of my 45 cal pistol shots in a 1 foot square, and. 22 in a 4 inch square, would this atleast put some placement in a compatition

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's a good start! It takes a lot of trigger time to improve.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

You might want to get a little tighter groups at the range, because they will get bigger when you're under the stress of the timer. Also, I was surprised when I did my first (and only USPSA match) I do 90% of my practice at 7 yds. and out of the 5 courses I shot 2 of them were at twice that distance.

You'll also want to practice changing magazines, especially tactical reloads (change mag before 1st mag is empty) as that will make or brake your time. You have a lot more time to concentrate on accurate shooting if you're not wasting precious seconds clearing taping mags that you didn't get in all the way the first time.

Above all, have fun and JUST DO IT! Even the worst shooter there has a blast, and no one will try to make you look like a fool. In fact, they go out of their way to 'cater' to the new shooter/competitor.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the input that is the main reason I like shooting sports the competetors are very friendly.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #5

I practice mag changes very often, even when I don't shoot because I train for work, armed security, hopefully soon to be one of san antonios finest. So quick action is part of my routine, I carry a 1911, regular mag and make myself count the rounds to seven before a mag change but I should not empty them.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #6

I think you are completely ready for shooting from what you say. What you need to work on is your spelling! You'll only get better with practice! (for both items) lol..

Go for it! I shoot IDPA and its some of the best fun I have had in years! (my wedding night excepted )

Last edited by socket462; 05-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think that determing if you are ready to compete should be based more on your knowledge of the safty rules and the actual stages of the match. You will be welcome if you are 1 safe and 2 flow thru the match without holding up other competitors. that will be of much more concern to them than your score.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdusmc View Post
I think that determing if you are ready to compete should be based more on your knowledge of the safty rules and the actual stages of the match. You will be welcome if you are 1 safe and 2 flow thru the match without holding up other competitors. that will be of much more concern to them than your score.
Best advise yet.

Hey sgtdusmc, stop by the INTRODUCTIONS thread and give us a little intro about yourself, it's entirely your decision, but never the less, welcome to the forum!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by socket462 View Post
I think you are completely ready for shooting from what you say. What you need to work on is your spelling! You'll only get better with practice! (for both items) lol..

Go for it! I shoot IDPA and its some of the best fun I have had in years! (my wedding night excepted )
I am dislexic, thanks you are a nice aren't you

Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdusmc View Post
Thanks for the input