Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Am I ready for competitive shooting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/am-i-ready-competitive-shooting-42735/)

clax 05-20-2011 01:02 AM

Am I ready for competitive shooting?

I know that any shooting sport has some of the best sportsmen in it (meaning that even if I suck I will not be ridaculed) the shooters I have met aside from a very small few have been really supportive. That is the numberone reason I like the sport.

At 21 feet I land all of my 45 cal pistol shots in a 1 foot square, and. 22 in a 4 inch square, would this atleast put some placement in a compatition

lonyaeger 05-20-2011 01:19 AM

That's a good start! It takes a lot of trigger time to improve.

Jesse17 05-20-2011 01:46 AM

You might want to get a little tighter groups at the range, because they will get bigger when you're under the stress of the timer. Also, I was surprised when I did my first (and only USPSA match) I do 90% of my practice at 7 yds. and out of the 5 courses I shot 2 of them were at twice that distance.

You'll also want to practice changing magazines, especially tactical reloads (change mag before 1st mag is empty) as that will make or brake your time. You have a lot more time to concentrate on accurate shooting if you're not wasting precious seconds clearing taping mags that you didn't get in all the way the first time.

Above all, have fun and JUST DO IT! Even the worst shooter there has a blast, and no one will try to make you look like a fool. In fact, they go out of their way to 'cater' to the new shooter/competitor.:)

clax 05-20-2011 02:47 AM

Thanks for the input that is the main reason I like shooting sports the competetors are very friendly.

clax 05-20-2011 02:51 AM

I practice mag changes very often, even when I don't shoot because I train for work, armed security, hopefully soon to be one of san antonios finest. So quick action is part of my routine, I carry a 1911, regular mag and make myself count the rounds to seven before a mag change but I should not empty them.

socket462 05-21-2011 01:17 PM

I think you are completely ready for shooting from what you say. What you need to work on is your spelling! You'll only get better with practice! (for both items) lol..

Go for it! I shoot IDPA and its some of the best fun I have had in years! (my wedding night excepted ;) )

sgtdusmc 05-22-2011 05:35 PM

I think that determing if you are ready to compete should be based more on your knowledge of the safty rules and the actual stages of the match. You will be welcome if you are 1 safe and 2 flow thru the match without holding up other competitors. that will be of much more concern to them than your score.

IGETEVEN 05-22-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtdusmc (Post 509738)
I think that determing if you are ready to compete should be based more on your knowledge of the safty rules and the actual stages of the match. You will be welcome if you are 1 safe and 2 flow thru the match without holding up other competitors. that will be of much more concern to them than your score.

Best advise yet. ;)

Hey sgtdusmc, stop by the INTRODUCTIONS thread and give us a little intro about yourself, it's entirely your decision, but never the less, welcome to the forum! :cool:

clax 05-26-2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socket462 (Post 508922)
I think you are completely ready for shooting from what you say. What you need to work on is your spelling! You'll only get better with practice! (for both items) lol..

Go for it! I shoot IDPA and its some of the best fun I have had in years! (my wedding night excepted ;) )

I am dislexic, thanks you are a nice aren't you

clax 05-26-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtdusmc (Post 509738)

Thanks for the input