Action shoots - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Action shoots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Just got back from tonight's shoot and it was again a great deal of fun. Lots of moving & shooting and reloads on the move tonight. The most difficult part from tonight was hitting 3 small 6" circles on a target while advancing towards it. We started at 55 feet and had to keep advancing on the target until you got at least 1 round in each circle - sounds simple but it is not. We also did one no light scenario where we had to engage 3 different targets using a flashlight and this one also required a reload between targets 2 and 3.

Shot my P229 in .40 tonight as I wanted to get some practice on the transition from the first DA shot to the remaining SA shots. Surprisingly, none of my initial DA shots were wasted and I didn't do bad overall - need more practice with this for sure though. After the match, I ran 3 mags through the new Sig 1911 and it is a very smooth gun for sure...

Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #12

I always miss out on the good shoots. Wish I could have stayed, but hey good news is, you didn't have to stop and pick me up off the side of the road

Old 03-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #13

tmoore912 posted some videos of tonight's shoot here...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/sig-carry-1911-a-39685/#post463682

Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Just got back from tonight's shoot and it was again a great deal of fun. Lots of moving & shooting and reloads on the move tonight. The most difficult part from tonight was hitting 3 small 6" circles on a target while advancing towards it. We started at 55 feet and had to keep advancing on the target until you got at least 1 round in each circle - sounds simple but it is not. We also did one no light scenario where we had to engage 3 different targets using a flashlight and this one also required a reload between targets 2 and 3.

Shot my P229 in .40 tonight as I wanted to get some practice on the transition from the first DA shot to the remaining SA shots. Surprisingly, none of my initial DA shots were wasted and I didn't do bad overall - need more practice with this for sure though. After the match, I ran 3 mags through the new Sig 1911 and it is a very smooth gun for sure...
A quick tip about the advancing and shooting. The best stance to use while advancing forward and firing is to bend your knees more than a usual stance and when you are advancing forward to make sure you walk with the toes of both feet facing outward. Now this feels extremely weird at first but trust me with a little practice, walking this way reduces the bobbing up and down versus walking regular. After awhile it feels almost as if you are in a chair that is rolling forward. When you first start as well make sure that you aren't trying to aim with your sights while shooting, this is far too difficult. Depending on the distance of the target you will have to practice point shooting or any variation of it. I have an action shoot tomorrow and will post a video of it. Depending on how much time I have I will try and post a video of moving and shooting later to show you what I mean. Hope this helps.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #15

You guys would start up the fun shoots after I left.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntpain1775 View Post
You guys would start up the fun shoots after I left.
Matt runs these every other Saturday. The next is the 26th of March - if you're ever coming through the area perhaps the schedule will work for you...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hey all just posting the three stages we had from the last action shoot I shot at. The indoor stages aren't anywhere near as good as outdoor but thanks to good old upstates New York we won't be outside for a month or so. Enjoy!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Matt runs these every other Saturday. The next is the 26th of March - if you're ever coming through the area perhaps the schedule will work for you...
Oh I'll take you up on it alright. I wish I could get in with some here. Problem is there is only 1 (as in ONE, UNO, eins, adin, Oden) indoor range within..ohhh...200+ miles of me. And the guy that owns it is a moron, jerk and way over prices. The only outdoor range that does it is a gun club. They are out of my price range to join, but the range is nice and they do a lot of competitions.

If I had the money, I would open a gun store and Indoor range. I guarantee I could have the initial investment paid back within a year off of the indoor range alone. I would stake everything I own on it.