Accuracy

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Accuracy

Have a few questions for the experts. I was brought up around guns of all kinds. My father was a big outdoorsman and taught me a lot. But recently, I'm trying to get into the "Long Range Accuracy" side of shooting. My top 3 questions. 1. What's the definition of a "Fully Floated Barrel" and what are the Pros for having one.? 2. I've seen a few friends while shooting, place 1-2 fingers on the barrel but have always been taught not to. Which is right or wrong.? 3. Is it a method to use when sighting in a rifle to get something and tap the scope after adjustments to make sure reticle moved.? Thanks guys. Oh, Lehman's terms please.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Fully floated means there are no outside stresses on the barrel, meaning no pressure. You can hold a rifle by the stock if it's floated and still not put any stresses on the barrel, as it's the stock your holding and the stock shouldn't be touching the barrel if it's floated properly.

This is good for accuracy because there is nothing interrupting or alerting the barrel harmonics.

Example: turn on a water hose, pinch it about 8 inches from the nozzle. See how the water flow is altered? Same concept, slightly different physics.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #3

I sure do appreciate the info!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Fully floated means there are no outside stresses on the barrel, meaning no pressure. You can hold a rifle by the stock if it's floated and still not put any stresses on the barrel, as it's the stock your holding and the stock shouldn't be touching the barrel if it's floated properly.

This is good for accuracy because there is nothing interrupting or alerting the barrel harmonics.

Example: turn on a water hose, pinch it about 8 inches from the nozzle. See how the water flow is altered? Same concept, slightly different physics.
Never heard that analogy...have to remember that, it's a good one.

Some of the gun shows today have high speed video of rifles being shot. What you will notice is that the barrel has a "whip" to it as the bullet travels the length of the barrel, which is noticeably absent if a "blank" round is being fired instead. As trip stated, you don't want contact with the barrel, as it WILL affect the shot.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Also, a consistent point of pressure or contact point can improve accuracy, an example of this is the mo rod that people add to the mini 14. It adds rigidity to the barrel in such a consistent way that it reduces a sometimes inconsistent barrel whip. This is also applicable to the concept of bedding a barrel, which in layman's term is making sure that a barrel (or section thereof) and rifle action are bedded in a good solid platform.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Also, a consistent point of pressure or contact point can improve accuracy, an example of this is the mo rod that people add to the mini 14. It adds rigidity to the barrel in such a consistent way that it reduces a sometimes inconsistent barrel whip. This is also applicable to the concept of bedding a barrel, which in layman's term is making sure that a barrel (or section thereof) and rifle action are bedded in a good solid platform.
Ok then, SOMETIMES you don't want contact...

Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Depends on your barrel. A lot of guys with muzzle brakes on their rifle will have a pressure point put on the barrel. Maybe something between the barrel and the stock so there's contact. All having to do with the "harmonic resonance" (wave frequency, kindly like radio wave frequency of your favorite radio station) of the particular caliber/barrel length. The browning "BOSS" system, though slightly different, was based on this theory. I believe the idea is to have the bullet exiting the barrel as the barrel has oscillated a full wave length, not mid-cycle, which would cause interference. A fully floated barrel has no pressure on the barrel, and with no pressure, should oscillate at the correct frequency. Mostly it just comes down to how well your rifle shoots, fully floated vs barrel pressure.

The tapping of the scope is just to be sure the reticle has moved all the way. Some guys will turn the dial a minute or two past were they want to go, the move it down to we're they want to be. Same thing, just making sure the reticle is in the right spot and won't move.

I don't know what you mean with the two finger thing.

Wait, was this thing on?

Last edited by theropinfool; 01-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.