870 for sporting clays?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > 870 for sporting clays?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default 870 for sporting clays?

I have been shooting sporting clays for about a year now. I have always used a semi-auto though. Is it a big transition from a semi to pump? I have been using a Remington 1100 but this year I would like to give the 870 a go. Any tips or suggestions?

The shoot will be at Addieville on the 19th. So if any of you guys might have any tips for that course it would help. I know they change it from time to time but any help is better than no help

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

Well using a pump takes longer between each shots compared to a semi. If thats not an issue for you, then I think you'll be alright.

S.S.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Find a smtih that can slick up that 870 action. If you do that you should be in good shape.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #4

Default Bang shuck

Having shot considerable skeet with an 870 in .410, I can tell you that cycling the action becomes second nature and takes no meaningful time away from proper shooting. In fact, the speed of an autoloader can be a liability when the second shot goes off without due deliberation (i.e. proper sight picture, lead, swing, etc.). You see this quite a bit in the field, where auto shooters break shots that are wasted. Give it a try. You might just be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Roy

Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandpa View Post
Having shot considerable skeet with an 870 in .410, I can tell you that cycling the action becomes second nature and takes no meaningful time away from proper shooting. In fact, the speed of an autoloader can be a liability when the second shot goes off without due deliberation (i.e. proper sight picture, lead, swing, etc.). You see this quite a bit in the field, where auto shooters break shots that are wasted. Give it a try. You might just be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Roy
Welcome. Why don't you make a stop over in the introductions section and let us welcome you properly?

Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pumping a shotgun becomes reflex, and you can do it quicker than you can line up the second pigeon. If the crossing is that close, save the second round and bust them both at the merge.
Doubles aren't an issue with a pump gun.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #7

I use a Rem 870 Express for clay sport competition...
I don't have a problem with the pump action in competition.
Take out the plug in the magazine so that you'll have more shot capacity.
2 or 3 clays in the air is no problem, but when 5 are in flight...well, I'm still working on that match.