3 gun shotgun that wont break the bank?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting >

3 gun shotgun that wont break the bank?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default 3 gun shotgun that wont break the bank?

I'm thinking about trying a 3 gun shoot sometime and I'm pretty set on pistols and rifles, but my shotgun selection might not be up to snuff. Everything I have for shotguns are either family heirlooms or set up for birds. Any suggestions out there on a shotgun that isn't going to set me back $2k? Should I use my 1100 the first time before I make an investment?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsonomaMN View Post
I'm thinking about trying a 3 gun shoot sometime and I'm pretty set on pistols and rifles, but my shotgun selection might not be up to snuff. Everything I have for shotguns are either family heirlooms or set up for birds. Any suggestions out there on a shotgun that isn't going to set me back $2k? Should I use my 1100 the first time before I make an investment?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
find out what other competitors are using and see if anything suits your tastes and budget. try some out if possible.
BsonomaMN Likes This 
Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/11/foghorn/ask-foghorn-best-shotgun-for-new-3-gun-competitors/
Here you go.
BsonomaMN Likes This 
Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6821 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Mossberg 935 auto loader is a good choice.

I would just roll with what ya got until you have a good idea from watching others have problems with their gear.

That's what I did when I started cowboy shooting. Glad I did too. Saved me from going rossi and stoeger...

If anyone gives you a hard time as a new guy just ask the tard to buy you a shotgun to try out... once you got a few matches under the belt you will have a very good idea what will work for you.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks guys! All great advice.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #6

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you are a hunter who is used to scanning the sky for birds as you thumb more ammo in your shotgun you are already faster with a shotgun than 99% of the people that shoot 3 gun. For most 3 gun shooters tactical shotgun reloads while moving are only a fantasy.

Get an 8 shot maverick 88 or Mossberg pump. Neither gun has a loading gate that will get in the way when you reload. They both will take the punishment of thousands of rounds of buckshot. In the event something breaks the new part will always be in stock and under $35, even a new trigger assembly.

Shoot low recoil ammo. When you buy low recoil ammo it still needs to have buffer material (plastic sawdust) and a pair of flat wads (felt and plastic).

You want to engage targets with the shotgun that would slow you down with a pistol.

Last edited by John_Deer; 02-16-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
RMc

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post

Shoot low recoil ammo like nobel. When you buy low recoil ammo it still needs to have buffer material (plastic sawdust) and a pair of flat wads (felt and plastic).
Nobel brand buckshot loads do not contain buffer.
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
JAB

Your rem 1100 will work for you until you find out what's a good shotgun, like others have said check out what others are shooting and ask them why they picked that shotgun. I started off with a older 870 wingmaster now im using a moss 930

Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

Liked 454 Times on 266 Posts

The Mossberg JM Pro. Tailor made for your needs and like $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #10

Just get a Nordic mag tube extension for the 1100 (@$80)and go have fun while you figure out the rest of it.