Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Competition Shooting (
-   -   3-gun setup, on the cheap? (

dgansen 08-18-2010 04:41 AM

3-gun setup, on the cheap?
Well, It's been a while since I've been on. To be honest, I don't remember if I ever even posted an introduction; my apologies if I have not. I digress; I am looking to get into the wonderful world of 3-gun. Many will say a cheap 3-gun setup is an oxymoron, and will cringe at the title of this thread. At this point I'm not looking into a setup that's highly competitive, but rather A setup that I, as a current high school student, can afford and learn on. My proposed setup was a Romanian WASR-10 (CIA imports go on sale at Dunhams for 280 occasionally). Yes, I know, CIA isn't known for their quality builds. However, I've been reading up on what to look for in a good one. Will a WASR-10 hold up to a rigorous 3-gun match? For shotgun, I might be able to get a good deal on Mossberg 500, which I can put a mag tube extension on. As far as a handgun, what's cheap, that works? I'm contemplating a CZ-82. My other thought was a Rock Island 1911, but there is no way I could afford to shoot .45 ACP. What do you guys recommend? I appreciate your constructive criticisms!

hunter Joe 08-18-2010 11:45 AM

Welcome. Don't let your lack of high dollar firearm stop you from getting started. You have to start somewhere and those firearms should do just fine.

I'm also interested in 3 Gun but will only upgrade in the firearm department as my interest in the sport grows. I'm not going to invest a lot of money until I decide if this is what I want to do.

Good luck and always remember, just have fun. Joe

bgeddes 08-22-2010 11:15 PM

Although I have only shot one once, Ruger makes some inexpensive 9mms. No idea if they are durable enough for the rigors of 3 gun. I too have been looking into 3 gun. The cost difference of ammo between 9mm and .45ACP is significant enough for me to consider buying a new 9mm.

BillM 08-23-2010 01:07 AM

USPSA 3 gun? Outlaw 3 gun? What are the rules?

I shot my first 3 gun with a Winchester Speed pump shotgun, a Norinco
45 and a SKS Sporter (takes AK mags). Had a BLAST, and didn't finish

Current setup for USPSA "Limited Optic" is:

Rifle. AR. Usually a lightweight 16" I built on a Cavalry Arms lower. It
has a Weaver V3 scope on it. Sometimes I use a 18" H-BAR with a
Millett DMS-1.

Shotgun. Remington 1100. 8 shot tube, 21" barrel with remchokes and
rifle sights.

Pistol. Glock 17. I use a Bladetech DOH holster, and mag extensions
to give me 23 rds per mag and still stay under the 140mm mag length
limit for Limited.

For now, shoot what you have. Get a few matches behind you then decide
what you want. You are NOT going to go kick butt on Taran or Jerry no
matter WHAT you are shooting!

hunter Joe 08-23-2010 05:12 PM

Bill, do you need a minimum of an eight shot tube and will a fifteen rounder work as well in the hand cannon department?