.22 competition shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > .22 competition shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default .22 competition shooting

So I'm new to Michigan and found a sportsman's club here and signed up tonight. I'm more for trap and long rang shooting but they have a .22 shooting competition every Wednesday night that my son is wanting to try. Anything that keeps him shooting is good by me but I'd hate to see my 12 year old get out and just lose an semblance of confidence either.

I've never been to a competition shoot myself outside of trap and skeet but have read that they can have some stupid accurate $1800+ .22's that will consistently hit pencil erasers at 100+ yards. The best .22 I have for him to use is a really well built and far more expensive that it's worth 10/22.

So quick question: Would this be acceptable at 50 to 75 yards at a competition?

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Looks like better than minute of squirrel head to me! I would think you will be fine with that. At the end of the day unless you got more than I ever will there will always be someone else with more in their rifle. Lots of times that means diddly. Never know till you try. Even if he doesnt come out in first place a little positive reinforcement from Dad always helps.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I agree with roughneck. Back when I used to drag race, I went against guys with THOUSANDS more in their car and I still would beat them (not everytime, but enough to piss them off). We ran on an index, so the point was to run as close to that number as possible. If that club is like every other club I know of, there will be a few guys who LIVE to win and have the best gear, everyone else will be in it just for fun. Like roughneck said, money does not always buy victory. Spend some quality time shooting with your boy, he'll remember it down the road.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
I agree with roughneck. Back when I used to drag race, I went against guys with THOUSANDS more in their car and I still would beat them (not everytime, but enough to piss them off). We ran on an index, so the point was to run as close to that number as possible. If that club is like every other club I know of, there will be a few guys who LIVE to win and have the best gear, everyone else will be in it just for fun. Like roughneck said, money does not always buy victory. Spend some quality time shooting with your boy, he'll remember it down the road.
Sounds like a demolition derby i went to at our county fair last year. This one guy had about 30k in his car, i was told by a friend he had over 10k just in the engine and it sounded like it too, it sounded wicked. He won the prettiest car contest but none of the other guys let him win if you know i mean, he might as well have had a bulleye painted on the car.

It was a pretty fun heat to watch tho.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #5

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Did well. Second place.

I didn't get any pictures of him with the gooder gun but we showed up early and he wanted to shoot the SR-22 that he hadn't shot yet. He had fun with that for about 30 minutes before switching over.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington