Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > 1st IDPA - I'm hooked!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 1st IDPA - I'm hooked!

So I finally shot at my 1st IDPA event and all I can say is, "Why didn't I start doing this earlier?!?"

Had a great at time; everyone was really nice and laid back. A lot of camaraderie and good-natured ribbing. Beginners were very well recieved.

The shooting was awesome. I'll be hard pressed to do much shooting at paper targets going forward.

I started out a little rough, but by the third course of fire I had dialed it in. Went from a worst of "down 11" on one COF to actually shooting a "down 0" on another. As much as I tried to slow myself down at the beginning, I was really shooting too quickly.

Here's some pics of one of the more awesome courses:

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks fun. Wish we had one near here!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Just out of curiosity, what do you figure your out of pocket expenses were? Entry fee? Ammo? Food/drinks?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

OP- glad you like it and that looks like an awesome COF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you figure your out of pocket expenses were? Entry fee? Ammo? Food/drinks?
I just started IPDA also and after the $40 annual IDPA fee and $40 annual club fee I spend less on IPDA match than I ever do just going to the range.

Entry fee is $20 for members ($25 for non-members)

We normally shoot 4 COF's so I typically use under 100 rounds.

The club sports drinks so I only need to bring a granola bar or sandwich since I'm ususally there from about 8am to 2pm.

Cost to fun ratio in IPDA is way higher than a day at the range unloading hundreds of rounds into a single stationary target.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Thanks Zeusecho, good info there. For some reason I was thinking several hundred rounds was the norm. The vids and reviews I've seen are nothing but positive and looks like tons of fun! Now to find a club...

Thanks again!!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

vincent,

USPSA matches typically have a higher round count than IDPA, though not usually several hundred at a club level.

Although, if you have a lot of pickup shots, you *might* run several hundred.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #7

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
1st time out at my local club you don't need to be an IDPA member, but after that you need to be.

IDPA Membership - Annual: $40
Entry Fee: $20 ($15 members)
Ammo (100 rounds): $20 - $30 (9mm) YMMV, depending on caliber and definitely if you roll your own!
Food (Coffee, water, couple of cliff bars, sandwich): $10-15
Club Membership (not required): $350 - Totally not needed where I am. It gives you access to the pistol and rifle ranges for the year, plus an additional bunch of benefits, but only saves you $120/year on IDPA. When I add more types of events, I'll likely join (I plan on doing 3-gun starting next year).

The food you can bring from home in a small cooler and really would be what you would eat or spend anyway.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #8

utf59, knfxda and again Zuesecho, thank you VERY much, those posts were very helpful. I'd always assumed it would be out of my price range to attend and compete so now...game on!!

Again, thanks guys!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glad you are hooked; IDPA is an excellent beginner program to competition shooting. When you're ready, try USPSA. It's much more intense and challenging; you will also find it much more entertaining.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

how would I get my first step into IPDA? Is this done in every state? Im in Wisconsin. What are the first step?