Will a 22 caliber suppressor work on a 5.45x39 and other questions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Will a 22 caliber suppressor work on a 5.45x39 and other questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Default Suppressor questions. 22 caliber on a 5.45x39

Let's say I wanted to buy only one suppressor and wanted it to work on a AR15 an AK74 a Ruger 22/45 and a 10/22. Is this possible or practical?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by sputnik1988; 06-16-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

Bumping thread back to top.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Problem that you run into is that any suppressor is designed specifically for a round in a given application.

I have a .45 caliber Osprey suppressor for my 1911. Now if I could thread it onto my .22 cal 1911, it would still work, but not as well because there is more hole in the travel path than when a .45 caliber round goes through the same path.

Would it work? Yes. Would it be as effective as a .22 Suppressor on a .22 caliber pistol? No.

Next you have the number of baffles in a pistol suppressor versus the number of baffles in a rifle suppressor. If you look at the lengths of pistol vs. rifle suppressors, you will see that rifle suppressors are longer, because they require more baffles to help bleed off the gas pressure from the higher powered rifle rounds.

Would a pistol suppressor help reduce the sound of a rifle round? I believe it would probably help, but it would be FAR from effective.

Gemtech, I know for sure, has a platform that has multiple caliber conversions for one of their pistol suppressors. You change the adaptor to the battle depending on the caliber of the pistol you want to use, but I don't know if they also change the baffle sizes and counts.

In short, yes it could be done to use one suppressor for multiple calibers (provided the rounds were all smaller than the can was designed for) but it would not be as effective as the round it was designed to suppress.

JD

Old 06-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Let's say I wanted to buy only one suppressor and wanted it to work on a AR15 an AK74 a Ruger 22/45 and a 10/22. Is this possible or practical?
They claim this can be adapted to a number of calibers simply by swapping the "can" or oil filter.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #5

Jpyle - I had never seen, or even heard of, that item before, but it has quickly become a top ten item on my SHTF preparation list.

Many thanks and a "JD Likes this post"

JD

Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Most manufacturers do not advise you use a rifle can on a rimfire, and some will not warranty a high power rifle can if they find rimfire residues in it. The dirtier, lower pressure rimfires will leave a lot of lead and powder residue in the can. Which sometimes comes loose when shooting on a high power rifle causing baffle strikes and destroying your can. I would go with one can for high powers, I got a .308 can that goes on my .308 and 5.56 via QD flash hiders, and a dedicated rimfire can. It is not as effective on the 5.56 as a 5.56 can would be, but it makes it hearing safe. Which is the whole point. Most rimfire cans can be disassembled for cleaning, and they will need it, they are just too much fun too shoot. I don't have any experience with hand gun cans but I imagine it would be the same, don't use it on rimfires. I don't foresee any issues with say putting a .45 can on a .40 or 9mm, they just won't be as quiet, but should prevent that annoying ringing sound in your ears. If you plan on using a can on multiple hosts, do get one with a QD system, the direct thread on cans tend to wear out the threads if taken on and off frequently.

KingTiger Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Jpyle - I had never seen, or even heard of, that item before, but it has quickly become a top ten item on my SHTF preparation list.

Many thanks and a "JD Likes this post"

JD
Happy to be of service and help contribute to the security of Casa de Dillinger

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Happy to be of service and help contribute to the security of Casa de Dillinger
Always looking to add to the arsenal. Speaking of which, I need to clear some room in the safe.

I think there may be a JD fire sale coming up.

JD

Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Always looking to add to the arsenal. Speaking of which, I need to clear some room in the safe.

I think there may be a JD fire sale coming up.

JD

Old 06-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #10

Are the threads on rifles typically the same?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ