Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Why Don't Other Gun Shops Do this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #31
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16986 Times on 9834 Posts
Likes Given: 44235

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomfirearms View Post
I guess paying a transfer fee to someone who has the ability and owns a business that can provide your needed service should not be a problem. I charge $35 for my normal transfers(I think that is fair) and sometimes it is not enough compensation for the time I have involved.

I did a pistol transfer a few months ago and the customer would have saved $100 by buying the pistol from me and I would have made more than $35.
i see it this way, i like my LGS quite a bit as they have good prices and are very fair and treat customers very well. if i needed something that was currently available, i would have them order it if not in stock or something they didn't normally stock. i have done that several times. now if i was looking at used, or something that's been discontinued, i might do a transfer through my LGS. i did a transfer on a Remington M700 action i ordered from Brownell's that i had sent to my LGS for transfer. i know for a fact he didn't charge anything, because i paid for the action and simply filled out the paperwork.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #32

Liked 230 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
Personally I believe in supporting brick and mortar stores when it comes to guns.

Imagine if a law passed outlawing buying guns online and all your local stores were already out of business.
I completely agree about supporting brick and mortar stores. But just think about that. Where you buy the gun from IS a brick and mortar store, just not one local to you. If local stores can't supply what is wanted at a reasonable price and go out of business, it's not anyones fault but theirs. Local stores have to compete just like any other store.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

People Like This 
Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #33

Liked 1016 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Earlier, I made the showroom comment. Lots of people are doing the very same thing I am doing. Gun shops think if they can't sell the gun they are going to make as much on a transfer as a sale. Some gun shops in this area charge $75 for a transfer.

I belong to a sporting clays club that has a FFL. Transfers on long guns are free. The club doesn't do transfers on pistols. We do get most of our ammo wholesale. Still if you fail to order enough ammo to last to the next meeting the stock ammo isn't that expensive.

I look at it as I just bought a pheasant or a few quail to train dogs with when I have to pay $25 extra on a case of ammo. Most make a donation that will buy a dozen quail when they do a transfer through the club. Pen raised quail are slow to take off, no matter how much flight training we give them before releasing them. If your dog can't catch a few of them you need a new dog.