Why Don't Other Gun Shops Do this? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Why Don't Other Gun Shops Do this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I would like some other gun shop owners to chime in and tell why they charge a transfer fee at all. What is your reasoning behind it? Don't you believe it is a good business practice to not charge a fee? Don't you want more business and to keep loyal customers? Don't you get it? I have found the majority of GS owners/workers to be very poor business persons.
ct
Other than the blanket reason of 'that's capitalism' (which is a horrible reason for anything), there is no real reason to charge for non-labor.
I don't yet have my own business set up so take all this with a can of salt, but will within the span of a few months. I'd think $10 or less, $0 for antiques if the buyer promises not to mutilate it.

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock View Post
Other than the blanket reason of 'that's capitalism' (which is a horrible reason for anything), there is no real reason to charge for non-labor.
I don't yet have my own business set up so take all this with a can of salt, but will within the span of a few months. I'd think $10 or less, $0 for antiques if the buyer promises not to mutilate it.
There is some labor. They have to call NICS, and file the 4473.

$10 sounds like a really fair price (I happily pay $20 at my FFL). As for the antiques, you don't need an FFL to buy those. (in most states)

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-23-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1191 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 509

My FFL charges $30 for a transfer. My LGS charges $100 for a transfer and most of their firearms are $100 to $200 over MSRP. My FFL is a WWII veteran with an interest in the history of US rifles, which happens to be an interest of mine. Aside from that, it's interesting talking to a man who has some sense of the history of this country through having lived it. It doesn't hurt that we were both Navy, either. My LGS wants to know when you're going to buy something and really doesn't want you there unless you're there to buy something.

It was a difficult choice to make, but yeah, I decided it was better to do business with someone who wasn't interested in ripping me off.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
My FFL charges $30 for a transfer. My LGS charges $100 for a transfer and most of their firearms are $100 to $200 over MSRP. My FFL is a WWII veteran with an interest in the history of US rifles, which happens to be an interest of mine. Aside from that, it's interesting talking to a man who has some sense of the history of this country through having lived it. It doesn't hurt that we were both Navy, either. My LGS wants to know when you're going to buy something and really doesn't want you there unless you're there to buy something.

It was a difficult choice to make, but yeah, I decided it was better to do business with someone who wasn't interested in ripping me off.
Sounds similar to my situation. The LGS/Pawn charges a $40 transfer fee, and are a little high on some guns.

My FFL charges $20 and basically does it because he enjoys guns, and talking to gun people.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The difference between a cheap transfer vs a normal to high cost transfer is really minimal to the LGS. Yes, it can be argued that it's a business and there is an expense involved in this BUT there is also a large expense for most businesses in marketing and advertising. A low transfer fee is a dirt cheap method of getting real gun buying customers into your store that you probably would never see otherwise.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #26

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Most of the gun shops in this area are showrooms where you can see and handle a gun. Then you go order the gun off the internet. Other than Glocks they are at least $100 higher than I can buy the gun online.
Yeah, and this is also a prime way to get e-screwed. I'll

take the "bird in the hand" at the LGS any day.

I went to a tools dealer at a local flea market,

and told him I was looking for a really good quality

wire-stripper. He replied " I don't have one. But the

Klein brand name is the best, and you can get them

at xxxxxxx." He threw away one sale, but made back

hundreds later, because I was a loyal customer till

the day he closed his shop.

No-fee transfers seem bad, but customers remember

who took care of them, and become loyal clientele.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #27

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I like doing business with service oriented professionals, a no transfer fee to me is like being in the loyalty club. If the owners know you by name and can ask about your kids, wife, ect.. I like friendly chit chat, free coffee and a lounge type are that promotes interaction between patrons.. As opposed to the places that A.) feel to commercialized and cookie cutter B.) like I'm doing something dirty or illegal and (or) has that sleazy sex shop feel.

When I buy a gun, I want them to shake my hand and make me feel like there is no other place in the world I'd rather spend my free time..

Transfers? Those should be free for who put in the time and bring in a lot of business ..

But don't nick or take advantage of noobs either.. 20 bucks is fair .. Maybe I'm old school, but I'm the look a man in the eyes, shake his hand and give him my word kind of person..

Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I may do transfers for free to a repeat customer who has bought some items from me in the past. I can often get guns for customers and save them money as opposed to them having the gun transferred, so I guess they got a free transfer. I have time involved in doing paperwork and handling a firearm for a transfer and I feel my time is worth money. If you want to avoid transfer fees then you should get your own FFL, business license, business bank accounts and meet all the Federal, State, and Local requirements. I certainly will not do free transfers on suppressors, SBR, machine guns and such that require my class 3 SOT. I will order what my customers want or advise them of their best options.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomfirearms View Post
I may do transfers for free to a repeat customer who has bought some items from me in the past. I can often get guns for customers and save them money as opposed to them having the gun transferred, so I guess they got a free transfer. I have time involved in doing paperwork and handling a firearm for a transfer and I feel my time is worth money. If you want to avoid transfer fees then you should get your own FFL, business license, business bank accounts and meet all the Federal, State, and Local requirements. I certainly will not do free transfers on suppressors, SBR, machine guns and such that require my class 3 SOT. I will order what my customers want or advise them of their best options.
an FFL is not for building a private collection other than a C & R license.

so we are either forced to use an FFL dealer for a transfer or have them order it for us.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess paying a transfer fee to someone who has the ability and owns a business that can provide your needed service should not be a problem. I charge $35 for my normal transfers(I think that is fair) and sometimes it is not enough compensation for the time I have involved.

I did a pistol transfer a few months ago and the customer would have saved $100 by buying the pistol from me and I would have made more than $35.