Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Why Don't Other Gun Shops Do this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

The guy I have do all my transfers only charges $20. That's the cheapest I have ever found in this area, and I think it's pretty fair. He's a real nice guy. That's also the only thing he does. He doesn't buy guns, and he doesn't sell them (at least not that I've ever seen), he only does transfers. He said he does this partly because he enjoys talking to people about guns. It's a nice little side business for him. He owns an insurance business, so he does all of his transfers out of it. It looks a little funny to walk out of an insurance business with a gun, but it works for me.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My experience as a FFL dealer is that handling transfers can be a big hassle sometimes. People want me to tell them why I dont have their gun yet. "Maybe because you bought it off some fool online who does not care about shipping quickly. " I can offer more info and assurance if I handle getting the firearm from one of my reputable suppliers and possibly save the buyer some money.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2691 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 261

They are providing a needed service that takes time & effort to do correctly. Charging for that time seems perfectly reasonable. Time is money, I don't expect a free ride. If I, as a customer, deem your charge is reasonable, I will very likely continue to shop at your store. If I feel like you were trying to be predatory about it, you will never see me again. If a shop owner wishes to provide that service for free, good for him, but a customer should not expect it as a rule.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
People Like This 
Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomfirearms View Post
My experience as a FFL dealer is that handling transfers can be a big hassle sometimes. People want me to tell them why I dont have their gun yet. "Maybe because you bought it off some fool online who does not care about shipping quickly. " I can offer more info and assurance if I handle getting the firearm from one of my reputable suppliers and possibly save the buyer some money.
The best local shop for transfers seems to understand this. Last time I asked him about taking a transfer for a pistol I wanted to order online, he offered to do some legwork and find me a better price or a better seller and to see if they would give him a discount as an FFL. Good guy. I think he charges $20-25. The last three firearms I bought retail came from him.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I charge $35 for normal transfers which I feel is very resonable. I have had several transfers that were quite a headache for me. One guy wanted to know why I had not received his gun yet and expected me to look into it. I had no clue what shipping company had it or what the tracking number was. I told him it was going to be sent back since he did not provide me with the tracking number and shipping company like I had requested previously. Then he decided to give me the information I requested so the gun was not returned to the shipper which I did not care if hapoended since I had no money involved.

Another guy wanted me to transfer a gun for $35 but wanted me to buy it from the seller putting my $1300 at risk. I refused to do that and told him he would need to buy it with his money if he wanted me to only charge $35 transfer fee.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2691 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
I charge $35 for normal transfers which I feel is very resonable. I have had several transfers that were quite a headache for me. One guy wanted to know why I had not received his gun yet and expected me to look into it. I had no clue what shipping company had it or what the tracking number was. I told him it was going to be sent back since he did not provide me with the tracking number and shipping company like I had requested previously. Then he decided to give me the information I requested so the gun was not returned to the shipper which I did not care if hapoended since I had no money involved.

Another guy wanted me to transfer a gun for $35 but wanted me to buy it from the seller putting my $1300 at risk. I refused to do that and told him he would need to buy it with his money if he wanted me to only charge $35 transfer fee.
It sounds like transfers aren't your problem. It's unreasonable customers.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
cottontop Likes This 
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:

Wow, that last guy was really unreasonable. The tracking number problem could be solved with a form requiring all the relevant information (seller phone, shipper phone, customer phone, tracking #) BEFORE your shop will provide FFL information to the seller; incomplete form = no FFL for them to ship to.

On the flipside, I work a LOT of individual tax returns which are not particularly profitable and certainly not my idea of fun; the firm takes such work primarily to meet clients for our payroll tax services and compilation services, both more profitable and tolerable. In a small business, sometimes you have to do work you don't really want to get people to bring you work you do want. Too much of the "seed work" will sap your energy/enthusiasm for the job and can affect the bottom line as well. It is a balancing act and makes me glad I don't own this business.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #18

Liked 142 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Most of the gun shops in this area are showrooms where you can see and handle a gun. Then you go order the gun off the internet. Other than Glocks they are at least $100 higher than I can buy the gun online.
Personally I believe in supporting brick and mortar stores when it comes to guns.

Imagine if a law passed outlawing buying guns online and all your local stores were already out of business.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #19

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

A new local shop opened up recently that only charges $15 for a transfer. I have paid as much as $50 for a single transfer. The new guy only charged me one transfer fee last time when I had three receivers shipped to me. He told me that he only filled out one paper & made one call he shouldn't charge for each receiver. He's got my business even if he is a few dollars higher.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am awaiting the day I do a transfer and the customer is unhappy with the condition of the firearm. My only options will be pay me to send it back or I will buy it supper cheap. I will hold the gun until I am compesated for my time and paperwork. If they chose to buy from a dealer or person they dont know on the internet that is their risk. Buy directly from me and you will see and hold the firearm before paying for it.