Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Why Don't Other Gun Shops Do this? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/why-dont-other-gun-shops-do-94067/)

cottontop 07-18-2013 04:02 PM

Why Don't Other Gun Shops Do this?

About 10 years or so ago, I worked part time at a LGS selling behind the counter and keeping the books. The owner was very customer friendly and as a result, there were always a lot of "hanger arounder" type guys there. Anyway, this owner never charged anyone a fee to accept a firearm from another seller (a transfer). I asked him why he never charged a transfer fee when all the other GS's and pawn shops charged anywhere from $25 to $50 to accept a transfer.

His reply was that he would make that money back easily ten fold. The guys who ordered guns and used our shop for the transfer always bought lots of ammo and accessories from the store. They seemed to have a sense of loyality toward us. Mark up of guns is not much, but mark up on accessories is. We had more business than any of the other GS's, and the free transfer was one of the reasons. I have never come across another GS that did this. It only makes good business sense. Why don't other shops do this? I guess human greed or the attitude that, "they ain't gonna make anything on my license," is the answer.
ct

mountainman13 07-18-2013 04:16 PM

In my experience most of the small shop owners I have dealt with have very little business sense and are really just out to make a quick Buck. They quickly find out that they are in the wrong business but are already invested and don't know what to do about it.
If my boss from the last shop had listened to me, he would have been stocked with guns (ARs) and ammo when the shtf. He would have been making a killing and his business would still be growing.
He didn't want stock, he wanted to purchase and flip.
Now his business is failing.

shadecorp 07-18-2013 04:29 PM

Off topic.
Years ago I wanted to open a Gun shop.
After thinking about for awhile,
realized it would be a BIG mistake.
I loved and knew about Guns.
But knew nothing about running a business.
And having all those people playing with my Guns,
Didn't do it.

winds-of-change 07-18-2013 04:32 PM

Cottontop, he's a smart business man.

John_Deer 07-18-2013 05:15 PM

Most of the gun shops in this area are showrooms where you can see and handle a gun. Then you go order the gun off the internet. Other than Glocks they are at least $100 higher than I can buy the gun online.

flybuddy 07-18-2013 05:24 PM

I've bought about a dozen guns from one local large store. They were actually quite good during the scare in not raising prices much and having reasonable availability. A few days ago I saw a nice AK at a great price at J&G. The local large store wanted $50 plus fax and background for a transfer. Checked around and found a smaller store locally that would do it for $15 total. I spent a couple of hours in there talking guns, etc. with owner. Bottom line was that I walked out knowing that this is where I will do my future business.

AR10 07-18-2013 05:46 PM

Retired now, but I never charged a transfer fee. Some gun stores charge a transfer fee for in house sales. Like car dealerships charge a title fee. I would walkway from those places.

I was a pawnbroker, and everyone had to fill out a yellow sheet to pick up their own guns. That seemed rather foolish to me. Pawn the same gun over and over and fill out transfer paperwork each time like it was a new owner

cottontop 07-18-2013 09:33 PM

I would like some other gun shop owners to chime in and tell why they charge a transfer fee at all. What is your reasoning behind it? Don't you believe it is a good business practice to not charge a fee? Don't you want more business and to keep loyal customers? Don't you get it? I have found the majority of GS owners/workers to be very poor business persons.
ct

winds-of-change 07-18-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1308024)
I would like some other gun shop owners to chime in and tell why they charge a transfer fee at all. What is your reasoning behind it? Don't you believe it is a good business practice to not charge a fee? Don't you want more business and to keep loyal customers? Don't you get it? I have found the majority of GS owners/workers to be very poor business persons.
ct

When Balota and I did an FFL transfer of my Henry, we were charged a $20 fee. I thought it was reasonable. GAT Guns quoted me $50.

Axxe55 07-18-2013 11:29 PM

as a gun owner and buyer, personally i don't have a problem with a store charging me a transfer fee on a gun i ordered and had sent to them to do the FFL transfer. but what does hack me off is inflated transfer fees for doing not much more than recieving the gun and doing the paperwork. my LGS charges $25 for a transfer and IMO that's reasonable.

but CT, free is always good and i see exactly where you are coming from. it does seem to make good business sense.