Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Where have all the good guns gone???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where have all the good guns gone???

Ok, so I got my FFL, and was excited to start ordering some guns to stock my store.

It seems EVERYBODY is out of EVERYTHING! I can't get a DPMS upper to save my life!

Did everybody stop production??? It's almost been a month, and STILL nobody has anything!!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could always buy a bunch of Moisin Nagants, Mausers, and Swiss surplus rifles...besides, those are the only guns where ammunition is available in quantity!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Everything is sold out because the of buying frenzy that has been going on over the past 6-8 months. There is a local shop that just opened up a few months ago and the first time I stopped by I was amazed. I have more of an ammo supply then they did! They had a few revolvers, mostly Taurus, couple of long guns, few pounds of powder, couple boxes of bullets, no primers. Over the past few months they've been able to get a few more things in but nothing serious. They can't do much with their prices either because they have so few guns to sell.
Right now is an extremely tough time to start a gun shop. Good Luck!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

In case you missed it, sales of guns and ammo since Nov 08 have been at an all time high.

How much of an increase? The ATF actually ran OUT of blank 4473 forms!

EVERBODY is trying to buy a black rifle. (That's nice, but I like walnut and blued steel) As a result, there MAY be some bargains on used sporting rifles and shotguns out there.

Shop carefully, smile a lot. While the gent on the next lane is fumbling with his new AR at 100 meters, I am shooting OLD stuff, like a Swiss K-31- at 600.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Shop carefully, smile a lot. While the gent on the next lane is fumbling with his new AR at 100 meters, I am shooting OLD stuff, like a Swiss K-31- at 600.
And using iron sites to boot!!!

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

First I've ever heard of Atlanta, Texas. Had to Google to find out where it is.

I've been looking for an AK variant underfolder that's priced reasonable. No dice.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
In case you missed it, sales of guns and ammo since Nov 08 have been at an all time high.
Yeah... I did miss it. I left for Iraq a couple of days after the election. We HEARD about the buying frenzy, but I thought that settled down by now.

Quote:
How much of an increase? The ATF actually ran OUT of blank 4473 forms!
So THAT'S why I didn't get my "starter pack" with my FFL!

Quote:
EVERBODY is trying to buy a black rifle....
I KNOW!! They'd LIKE to buy them from ME!

Has production of AR uppers STOPPED?? I can get stripped lowers all day long... but an UPPER?? Can't find 'em!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Quote:
Has production of AR uppers STOPPED??
No- they are working overtime. Have you ever tried to go to the store and buy bottled water and flashlight batteries- when a hurricane was due in 12 hours? Same thing, bro.

People are afraid that if they wait, they are not going to be able to buy a LBR (long black rifle), so they are swarming the gun stores. Last gun show I went to had a line to get in the door. a FORTY FIVE MINUTE long line!

I'm down to 600 rds for the K-31, better switch to the 8mm Mauser for a while!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #9

Default Are you a hi-volume Dealer or not? That makes the difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Ok, so I got my FFL, and was excited to start ordering some guns to stock my store.

It seems EVERYBODY is out of EVERYTHING! I can't get a DPMS upper to save my life!

Did everybody stop production??? It's almost been a month, and STILL nobody has anything!!
The big-name dealers are getting all the "deals" from the distributors. If a guy can write a good check for $50K, he'll get what he wants, because no one else can match him. The distributor will sell to the guy who's willing to pay the most (including a little 'grease' to help the deal slide along), and those are the big-name guys. My local FFL can't get a SINGLE gun from any of his usual sources.

Business as usual when supplies are tight. The manufacturers are hard at work, but everything sells as soon as its made. Most just aren't tooled to run 24/7, so you can't blame them. They have to rely on suppliers of their own, some of whom are NOT coming through.

Once the surge dies down (and Congress would be smart to announce NO new gun regs for the next two years to two to help calm it) I would recommend investing your extra cash back into the business in the form of stockpiling. The stuff won't go bad, and if you need to sell, the market will almost always be there.