Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Where have all the good guns gone??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/where-have-all-good-guns-gone-14022/)

hydrashok 05-21-2009 10:11 AM

Where have all the good guns gone???

Ok, so I got my FFL, and was excited to start ordering some guns to stock my store.

It seems EVERYBODY is out of EVERYTHING! I can't get a DPMS upper to save my life!

Did everybody stop production??? It's almost been a month, and STILL nobody has anything!!

RL357Mag 05-21-2009 02:24 PM

You could always buy a bunch of Moisin Nagants, Mausers, and Swiss surplus rifles...besides, those are the only guns where ammunition is available in quantity!

spittinfire 05-21-2009 02:52 PM

Everything is sold out because the of buying frenzy that has been going on over the past 6-8 months. There is a local shop that just opened up a few months ago and the first time I stopped by I was amazed. I have more of an ammo supply then they did! They had a few revolvers, mostly Taurus, couple of long guns, few pounds of powder, couple boxes of bullets, no primers. Over the past few months they've been able to get a few more things in but nothing serious. They can't do much with their prices either because they have so few guns to sell.
Right now is an extremely tough time to start a gun shop. Good Luck!

c3shooter 05-21-2009 04:34 PM

In case you missed it, sales of guns and ammo since Nov 08 have been at an all time high.

How much of an increase? The ATF actually ran OUT of blank 4473 forms!

EVERBODY is trying to buy a black rifle. (That's nice, but I like walnut and blued steel) As a result, there MAY be some bargains on used sporting rifles and shotguns out there.

Shop carefully, smile a lot. While the gent on the next lane is fumbling with his new AR at 100 meters, I am shooting OLD stuff, like a Swiss K-31- at 600.

ScottG 05-21-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 107800)
Shop carefully, smile a lot. While the gent on the next lane is fumbling with his new AR at 100 meters, I am shooting OLD stuff, like a Swiss K-31- at 600.

And using iron sites to boot!!! :D

notdku 05-21-2009 05:35 PM

First I've ever heard of Atlanta, Texas. Had to Google to find out where it is.

I've been looking for an AK variant underfolder that's priced reasonable. No dice.

hydrashok 05-22-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

In case you missed it, sales of guns and ammo since Nov 08 have been at an all time high.

Yeah... I did miss it. I left for Iraq a couple of days after the election. We HEARD about the buying frenzy, but I thought that settled down by now.

Quote:

How much of an increase? The ATF actually ran OUT of blank 4473 forms!

So THAT'S why I didn't get my "starter pack" with my FFL!

Quote:

EVERBODY is trying to buy a black rifle....

I KNOW!! They'd LIKE to buy them from ME!

Has production of AR uppers STOPPED?? I can get stripped lowers all day long... but an UPPER?? Can't find 'em!

c3shooter 05-22-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Has production of AR uppers STOPPED??
No- they are working overtime. Have you ever tried to go to the store and buy bottled water and flashlight batteries- when a hurricane was due in 12 hours? Same thing, bro.

People are afraid that if they wait, they are not going to be able to buy a LBR (long black rifle), so they are swarming the gun stores. Last gun show I went to had a line to get in the door. a FORTY FIVE MINUTE long line!

I'm down to 600 rds for the K-31, better switch to the 8mm Mauser for a while!

indy_kid 05-22-2009 04:24 PM

Are you a hi-volume Dealer or not? That makes the difference!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 107726)
Ok, so I got my FFL, and was excited to start ordering some guns to stock my store.

It seems EVERYBODY is out of EVERYTHING! I can't get a DPMS upper to save my life!

Did everybody stop production??? It's almost been a month, and STILL nobody has anything!!

The big-name dealers are getting all the "deals" from the distributors. If a guy can write a good check for $50K, he'll get what he wants, because no one else can match him. The distributor will sell to the guy who's willing to pay the most (including a little 'grease' to help the deal slide along), and those are the big-name guys. My local FFL can't get a SINGLE gun from any of his usual sources.

Business as usual when supplies are tight. The manufacturers are hard at work, but everything sells as soon as its made. Most just aren't tooled to run 24/7, so you can't blame them. They have to rely on suppliers of their own, some of whom are NOT coming through.

Once the surge dies down (and Congress would be smart to announce NO new gun regs for the next two years to two to help calm it) I would recommend investing your extra cash back into the business in the form of stockpiling. The stuff won't go bad, and if you need to sell, the market will almost always be there.