Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > what's the right thing to do..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 197 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default what's the right thing to do..

Ordered a complete lower from ST, which it will be shipped to my LGS. God knows when they will ship it eventhough i already paid for it.
Bought a complete upper SBR and it will arrive next tuesday.

Question:
Can i just keep the SBR upper in a locked unused rifle case in my home. I will not touch it until the paperwork is done (till my lower arrives at my LGS, submit the paperwork with trust $ $200 tax. And another 6-7months waiting for the stamp gets back).
I will not even putting accessories on my upper when its being kept. Seriously will not touch it from now till the whole 6-7months.

Thank you for inputs.. appreciate it. I just want to be a law abiding gun owner .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

From what I've been told, you have to have the stamp to take posession of the SBR from the dealer. I haven't dealt with this personally myself, yet, but if I'm mistaken, please someone correct me.

I've been told that posession of an SBR without the stamp is a no-no and a dealer shouldn't turn one over without proof of the existance of the stamp.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

U can buy any upper and get it shipped to you.
Lower is the one need to be shipped to dealer.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #4

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
U can buy any upper and get it shipped to you.
Lower is the one need to be shipped to dealer.
It is my understanding that any upper with an overall barrel length of less than 16" is considered a short barrel rifle, thus applicable to all NFA rules/regulations.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #5

the way i read it, it also applies to people who put buttstocks on glocks. damn law is ridiculous

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

It is my understanding that any upper with an overall barrel length of less than 16" is considered a short barrel rifle, thus applicable to all NFA rules/regulations.
As i said, when my lower arrives at my LGS, i will register it as SBR lower. And it stays at my LGS till i get my tax stamp.
And i'm aware i'm only allowed to put my 10.5" SBR upper with a registered SBR lower.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #7

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
As i said, when my lower arrives at my LGS, i will register it as SBR lower. And it stays at my LGS till i get my tax stamp.
And i'm aware i'm only allowed to put my 10.5" SBR upper with a registered SBR lower.
Here you go, read up - http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/. Pay particular close attention to the section that applies to short barreled rifles

and just in case you still don't understand, in a cliff notes version - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

if you have a rifle type lower receiver in semi-auto format and no pistol lower or registered M16 do not buy the shortbarrel ahead of time. even if you cover it in cement bury 3000miles in the ground the atf considers it intent to construct a unregistered nfa item if you possess a semi auto rifle lower but no pistol or m16.

it doesnt matter to them if you store the short barrel in the andromeda galaxy or not.

if you do not possess a rifle lower and there isnt one someone else owns in your home your riding a grey line.

best to just wait on getting the short barrel until you have your sbr stamp in hand. there is no shortcuts to nfa. you get in trouble once you start short cutting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thx guys. I read in some threads on the net.. some said its best to keep the upper in a trusted friend's home who doesn't own an AR related rifles. Also i called my LGS which my 2 suppressors being kept there, he suggested me to buy a temporary pistol lower, something like that.

I will look and open up for any solutions.
Thank you

Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Storing it at a friends house is still constructive intent. Here is what happens doing that. Your bestest buddy known him since kimdergarten gets caught harvesting his 20000 acre pot farm no one knew about. To get a lesser sentence he tells the feds about all the shaky things people he knows are doing.

Guess who shows up at your door with an arrest warrant for nfa violation...

Buy a pistol lower or dont buy the barrel. It doesnt matter where you store it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...