Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   what are the pros of getting an ffl? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/what-pros-getting-ffl-69538/)

beastmode986 08-03-2012 05:07 PM

what are the pros of getting an ffl?

I havent done much research but always wondered why having an ffl was a good thing. I know you can have gun shipped to your house and you can sell them but what else is good about having an ffl? how does it help you?

silverado113 08-03-2012 05:17 PM

Self employed, retirement supplement, doing what you love, handling all kinds of guns on a daily basis. Unless your a C&R FFL and then it's about discounted guns for your collection shipped to your door thus saving you money.

c3shooter 08-03-2012 05:52 PM

There are about 11 different Federal Firearms Licenses (FFLs). ONE is for a Collector of Curio and Relic Firearms. That allows me to buy a firearm that is 50 yrs old, or guns named as collector items by the ATF, and have them shipped directly to me. Saves me about $40 per gun that I buy. Allows me acquire older guns that are a bit scarce at the local gun shop. Cuts my paperwork to just about zero when buying a C&R gun (only) from local gun shop.

The other TEN versions are for people "engaged in the business" of making, buying and selling, importing guns or ammunition. It is a business license you must have to do those things, and are only available to a business, not a hobbyist. All licensed gun dealer have an 01 FFL. Pawn shops that handle guns have an 02 FFL. Gun manufacturers, importers, makers of ammunition, etc each have their license. PS- and you have to be 21 to get one. Sorry, Beast.

danf_fl 08-03-2012 06:50 PM

It helps to pay for my toys!

beastmode986 08-03-2012 08:56 PM

I know you have to be 21 :( but my dad can still get one if he wanted to. I wanted to get one when i was older but im not sure how they would help me but it would be pretty damn fun to sell guns compared to other lines of work. My main questions are what officially makes me a buissness? Am i required to have a store? I have seen cheaper than dirt,impact guns,gunbroker etc and they all sell firearms but they need to be shipped to an ffl so if i have an 01 or 02 can i have the guns shipped directly to my house? Also what license is required in order for me to be able to build firearms and silencers? type 10 ffl?

danf_fl 08-04-2012 11:10 PM

The ATF has a website and look for "Firearms" (yeah, there are a lot of areas in that too).
http://www.atf.gov/

The nice thing is that you can contact them directly and ask such questions.

Also, your county has "zoning" and has restrictions on what can be done within each zone. Check with them.

The fun of selling firearms? You have to be knowledgeable on what firearms you sell or deal with. There are people who have no idea on how to hold one, much less, how to be safe with them.

beastmode986 08-07-2012 05:55 PM

but like i said, what makes me considered a business? whats required? How can i get guns shipped to my house for a personal collection? What license is needed to make silencers,firearms, etc?

danf_fl 08-07-2012 06:31 PM

Dealing with firearms for profit (or as a learning experience when starting out) is business.

You have to transfer firearms from your FFL to yourself if you want them in a personal collection (and you cannot sell them for at least 1 year after transfer.)

Class 3 is required for silencers (suppressors is the correct name). The class 3 info (as well as info on manufacturing) is on the BATF website and can also be obtained by talking with an agent.

beastmode986 08-08-2012 12:53 AM

Wait i still need to transfer firearms from my ffl even if i am an ffl? That makes no sense. So in order to make suppressors i need to have a class 3 ffl?

silverado113 08-08-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986 (Post 896407)
Wait i still need to transfer firearms from my ffl even if i am an ffl? That makes no sense. So in order to make suppressors i need to have a class 3 ffl?

The reason you have to transfer firearms and do the paperwork is because you want your business name i.e. My Firearms Business, LLC to be the name on the FFL so you separate your busines assets from your personal assets incase of bankruptcy or a liability issue such as a lawsuit.